PDA

View Full Version : One more time....please!

Wally
05-04-2002, 08:20
I know this has been covered many times before. But I'm a little slow and skeered to try it without fresh advice.
I've got my new Onyx black Dmax and I want to remove the 4X4 stickers and the 2500HD emblems.
I don't get along with tape, glue, or scraping devices! :D .
One more time could someone tell me a foolproof way to remove these things without SCRATCHING the paint? Then tell me the best way to remove the glue residue.
Thanks!

chipper
05-04-2002, 08:38
Wally,
The old standby hair dryer on high will soften the glue so you can pull it off.Any left over residue can be washed off with PPG's ACRYLI-CLEAN, DX330 without damage to the paint.
chipper

2001 D/MAX<EXT<LB

SledZep
05-04-2002, 09:48
Wally, I have a black Dmax myself and I was a first timer about 2 months ago.
1)Hairdryer
2)Fishing line (sawing motion) or rubber filler spatula for lifting (that is what I used)
3)WD-40 to clean off glue residue.
4) Beers for after you are done, or earlier depending on how much courage you really need.

It was MAYBE 50 degrees out when I did it. Very easy as others have said. The only problem was the 4x4 ghost stayed for 2 washes, but one waxing cured it. I removed everything but the side molding (soon) I even removed the "LT" on the cab.
If you take them off nice they can be stuck on your toolbox... looks cool....

SoCalDMAX
05-04-2002, 11:24
Wally,

Use a hair dryer to soften the glue, pull off emblem.

Use WD-40 to remove glue residue, then wax area to protect paint.

Regards, Steve

Wally
05-04-2002, 19:01
I'm not too worried about the hard emblems. Fishing line should work well and the remaining tape can be rolled off with a thumb. My biggest concern is the 4X4 stickers. Once I get em started, with a little patience they should pull right off. How do get that first piece/corner/edge up without scratching the paint?

shft22
05-04-2002, 19:35
Wally, I used my nails to get started and the just pull it off, Before I started I parked the Truck with one side facing the Sun for about an hour, then did the same on the other side, that way I didn't need to use the hair dryer trick. After it was all off I cleaned the left over glue with WD-40, washed the truck and waxed it.