PDA

View Full Version : Manual trans keeps quiting

cos
02-28-2005, 18:11
Well, with 14k on my two wheel drive manual trans, it got a new flywheel, clutch, throwout bearing, pressure plates etc... Previous to this it would shake really bad, to the point it was damaging my trailer. Going in reverse was non-existant as it shook so bad it wouldnt move. After the work was done, it seemed ok for a while and this week BAM!!! again, bad shaking while taking off in any gear, can go in reverse because it shakes so bad, and this time the ses light came on, and the trans and motor just stopped working. it will let me idle, and maybe do 5mph but thats it? Let it set overnight, and the next day it was fine for about 100 miles, and it shut down again? Whats the deal??? Anyone know?

DmaxMaverick
02-28-2005, 18:22
The clutch sounds pretty simple. Get it into the dealer and get it replaced.

When was the last time you changed the fuel filter? You have codes stored (SES), so get them read and go from there.

What year is your truck?

madmatt
02-28-2005, 20:29
not to knock your truck, but there was a reason that GM held out on releasing the M/T behind the D-Max. the manual( @ least the clutch more so then the tranny it self) wasn't able to and still has a hard time holding up to the power the D-Max makes. I can pretty much count on the local M/T equipped heavy work trucks showing up every 15-20k miles for a flywheel, clutch and sometimes even a input shaft or two. I haven't looked into it but have heard you can get a solid flywheel. I've put'em in PSDs in replace of their old dual massers w/ great success. Have not heard of any aftermarket clutches although I'm sure Southbend or somebody offers them.

01max
03-01-2005, 17:04
i talked to pete at southbend and he said he has a pressure plate and disc but sells the newest flywheel that g.m. had just released. and says its working really well. as for a solid flywheel he was working on one but quit after gm released the new flywheel.

madmatt
03-01-2005, 18:13
thanks for the info. I was wondering about this and had heard of aftermarket clutches and flywheels but just haven't checked into them yet as I have no need for one.

cos
03-04-2005, 18:46
The truck is an 04. The manual trans was a big let down, i bought it hoping to get better fuel mileage and better towing for my heavy trailer. The clutch is toast again, and I got the codes today. it threw 3 codes... 1. malfunction of the glow plug lamp indicator... 2. malfunction of the pcm that controls the engine malfunction light.... and 3. aux emission control fuel and air metering. I dont understand what any of these have to do with my problems..