PDA

View Full Version : Heavier Duty Tires Question 2500HD

ThumbScott
07-03-2002, 07:52
I would like to go to a heaveir duty tire on my 2500HD. I am not sure how to find or read the load range labels. Has anyone put heavier duty tires then load range E on their trucks and if so what type and brand.

Michelins offer load range E tire for the 2500HD but the actual load ratings for single tire are less pounds then the current fire blows stock offered.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

It will be time soon for me to get tires. I pull a fiver of pin wieght of 2700 pounds and feel it is very important to have good rubber on the road. smile.gif

CanadaKev
07-03-2002, 08:22
ThumbScott,
Load range E = 10 ply, 65 lbs psi
" " F = 12 ply, 85 lbs psi
" " G = 14 ply, 110 lbs psi
F & G range 16" tires are harder to find. I know General makes a G not sure about an F.
IMHO a 10 ply tire (E) is plenty of tire to carry a big 5th. Just buy a better set, ie:Michelin.
Kev

Lawnboy
07-03-2002, 10:39
ThumbScott,
I dont know what type/size Michelin tire you are referring to, but I find just the opposite to be true. They are usually of a higher load rating than other brand tires.

Since I DON'T have a truck with the "Fire Blows", what is the factory load rating on these?

I DO have a truck with Michelin LTX M/S that are LT265/75R16 Load Range E (3415lbs @ 80psi). Not too many tire companies make a 265 tire with a 3400+lb rating.

As for you not being sure how to find/read the load range lables....well....they're right on the sidewall of every air filled tire made today. They will ususally have a load rating for single's (2500's) which is usually higher than the dual (3500's) rating (I still don't understand that one?).

Hope this helps you out.

ryeguy
07-03-2002, 11:14
My Cooper Discoverer A/T LT265/75R16 are also rated for 3415lbs. I've heard that the Michelins are a better tire, but I'm happy with the Coopers.

--Rob

Colorado Kid
07-03-2002, 12:59
Both the sigle and dual ratings are per tire. The tires are rated to carry slightly less load per tire when operating as duals because: 1) The load may not be carried equally by both tires in a set of duals (inners loaded more heavily on crowned roads) 2) Either tire in a set of duals may carry the entire load over a curb, stone or other impact 3) If duals end up with a different effective radius, by inflation differences or unequal loading, the two tires will both scrub since they must turn the same number of revolutions (being bolted together)which generates heat. For those reasons a set of duals cannot carry twice the load of an identical single.

ThumbScott
07-03-2002, 13:08
Has any here done load range f or g on a 2500HD. The problem I have is when I try to find on the internet F or G in Michelins I can not find.

Will load range F/G be a problem on the 2500HD?

Thank you for the info. If I still had a dually I would be ok, but since I have a 2500HD I would like to add just a little extra in the tires for peace of mind.

I think the Michelins I saw were rated at @3000 per tire where as the fire blows I have not are around 3400 each.

Much appreciated on the suggetions so far.

pepperidge
07-03-2002, 16:25
Lawnboy is correct about the 265/75's being pretty heavy rated. Michelin is due to release the ltxms in 285/75/16D this quarter rated at 3305#

Right now I have the Bridgestone(made in Japan) dueller m/t's in 285/75/16D and they are also rated at 3305# single 3000# dual If I don't have to use the logging roads at the hunting lease this year (might just pack it in with the atv) then I might consider the new 285/75/16D LTX/MS "Slicks" smile.gif

Lawnboy
07-03-2002, 21:06
Pepperidge,

My buddy calls my M/S's "sneakers" (instead of boots) or "steering tires". He's used to BIG Mudders!

ThumbScott,

How heavy do you want to go??? What in Gods name are you hauling? If 3415 isn't enough, your going to be forced to go to a 19.5 rim, but I don't think they make them for 2500's. Your rear springs cant handle 7000+ lbs, so why so high?

pepperidge
07-05-2002, 11:26
LawnBoy,

Look in ThumbScott's sig under pictures ( a36' 5er') It's not the biggest I've seen but it looks like he might have a reason to upgrade

ThumbScott
07-05-2002, 11:35
I am so busted. I know now I will get slammed. When I was on the escapees site they just about sent the linch mob after me for not having a MDT. I would if I could afford but I can't.

I weight in at 21800 fully loaded and ready to go. I am 2700 on king pin weight which puts me 200 over rating so I have an air lift installed.

I just wanted to get more rubber on the road in a higher load range tire for extra safety against blowouts.

I am actually satisified with my fire blows, I have 28K on them and probably 5k left on them. I seem to burn all tires up quickly for some reason. Had Michelins on my 1 ton dually and they wore fantastic.

Thank you for the info and I know I should have a MDT, I just can't swing it right now. So in the mean time I want to upgrade the rubber.

Thank you again for the info. :confused:

pepperidge
07-05-2002, 11:42
Don't feel bad, I don't even own a camper yet.
H&ll, I don't even know what an MTD is yet. Isn't that a Lawn Mower? :D :D :D

DmaxCC6spd
07-09-2002, 14:03
Thumbscott,

What kind of 5th wheel hitch are you using. In the pictures on Yahoo, the pin looks rather far back. Is it a slider?

Just curious.

ThumbScott
07-09-2002, 14:20
Yes it is a slider. I had not at that point in time slide the hitch to towing mode yet.

Reese 16K slider. I will get a long box next time so I don't have to hastle with sliding or giving thought to sliding or not.

Are you looking to get a slider hitch?

billnourse
07-09-2002, 16:06
ThumbScott,

How are you figuring your load at 200 over??

I figure that I am 700 over with a pin weight of 2200 and a gvw of 19,440. Mine is a crewcab instead of extended, but I wouldn't think that would make that much difference.

Bill

ThumbScott
07-10-2002, 11:33
Bill,

How I determined king pin weight is the weight the truck wheels only hooked up to fiver and then unhooked the fiver and weight just the truck again. The difference was what I think is the king pin weight.

I tried several different variations but this was simple and accurate. I have scales all over to use at the company I work at. So I have time to test different weights.

Truck with fiver hooked up - truck without fiver hooked up.

Did this answer the question?

billnourse
07-10-2002, 16:57
ThumbScott,

That's how I figured my pin weight also. My question is about the 200 over gross. If you have a GVW of 9200 and take away a pin weight of 2700, that leaves 6,500. Add 200 for the over gross and you have 6,700. Is that the weight of your pickup with gear, fuel, hitch and passangers?

My pickup weighs 7,200 with fuel, hitch, and no people. I guess my real question was, does the CrewCab weigh that much more than the extended cab???

I can't fit a MDT into my lifestyle or budget either so I am a little over GVW (9200) at 9880, but less than total VCW (22,000) at 19,440. I am also under per axle rating. Front 4240 rated at 4670 and rear 5640, rated at 6084. With these numbers, I think I might also be interested in an upgraded tire just for a margine of safety.

Thanks for the info,

Bill

ThumbScott
07-11-2002, 08:11
When I run over the scales I am @21,800. The older Travel Supremes are a lot lighter then the newer ones.

I am also a MDT canidate, but this payment is the stretch. If I keep this truck 40 more months then the next one will be a MDT. I do believe that these trucks will last a long while. Mine is a great truck and I love the diesel.

I am going to learn more about the F and G rated tires. We sell tires so I am going to stop over there and see what they can get. Earlier in this post CanadaKev said that F/G are hard to find in 16 size?

If I find I will post.

Thank you all for the info.