PDA

View Full Version : Will it haul it all??

Murf
06-15-2003, 23:02
Got about 2,000 mi on the GMC 2500HD D/A. I currently have my 2,000lb slide in camper in the bed. I'd like to haul my 28' travel trailer home (aboput 200 miles)and leave the slide in camper in the bed- the trailer weighs about 7,000lbs. I'll be coming over a few fairly gentle passes here in Colorado - do you think the truck can handle it without harming it? Its just a hassle to take the slide in out - I can do it if it could be a problem - just wondering what others thought? Thanks, Murf

Maverick
06-15-2003, 23:10
I would do it. I don't see any problems.

Seattle Steve
06-15-2003, 23:47
Murf- The drivetrain is rated for and can handle the load as long as you have & use trailer brakes.

The tires are another story. My truck is similar to yours and weighs 2700# at the rear axle empty. The factory tires are the limiting factor and are rated about 3000# each so you only have 1300# left after adding your slide-in. If you load your travel trailer to be front heavy, like 20% or more, you're overloaded. As always, it's the driver's call, however I wouldn't want to overload the tires and risk a blow out loaded like that.

I hope this helps.

huntindog
06-16-2003, 05:03
This is too close to call. Especially if you're estimating weights.(or going by the stickers) Even the RV manufacturers are well known to underestimate their products weights. So if you haven't actually weighed the slidein, and trailer, then I'd have to say don't do it. You could easily end up WAY over on weights.

RVGuy
06-16-2003, 08:55
I have two answers for you.

1.) Yes the truck can probably do it.

2.) More than likely you will be at or over your maximum GAWR on the rear axles.

But the ONLY way you will know for sure is to weigh it.

If you are using book weights and/or estimates provided by the manufacturers you will be surprised when you take everything to the scales.

In any event, if you do choose to haul everything, make certain you inflate the rear tires to the max. while cold and the fronts to about 60 psi.

Murf
06-16-2003, 08:59
Thnaks for the replies so far - had a question re the tires - heres how I've computed it in the past - let me know if I'm doing it right - I've taken the tire rating - in this case 3,000lbs, timed it times 4 and this is the capacity the truck can handle so far as wieght goes. Have I been doing this wrong or should I be splitting this between the front and back or what. I use a wieght distrubution hitch and trailer brakes.
Thanks - Murf

Colorado Kid
06-16-2003, 13:06
You've got to watch those weights axle by axle, cause there's no system that's going to make sure you're loaded equally front to rear, and in fact it's highly unlikely.

If you told us what your truck configuration is I missed it. . . the empty weights very over several hundered pounds but the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is consistant at 9200# for 3500HD.

2000# in the box and you in the seat will generally put you within 400# of the GVWR on a Crew Cab 4x4 D/A 2500HD, but it will not put you near the limits of either axle. Unfortunately hitch weight counts against GVW.

I would probably do it, but be aware that you are likely to be over on the GVWR. The axle weights and Combination wieght will be within limits, especially if you use the weight distributing hitch. Otherwise the rear axle will be very near its rating. I too would use 55 or 60 psi in the front tires and 80 psi in the rear to haul this load, and I wouldn't be in a hurry.

chevmeister
06-16-2003, 21:20
Can it do it? By all means. Is it legal? Hook it up and find a scale. Weight the truck axle by axle, and find out. Find a scale and get the truck weighed now with the camper in it. you may be overweight before you know it. Does anyone ever run their truck over weight? Well ive never done it!! ;) If your going to do it, just be very carefull and keep an eye on your tires and springs.

Murf
06-16-2003, 21:36
Thanks everbody - appreciate the replies - I'll just play it safe and take the camper off before I haul the trailer - just wanted to see what you all had to say about it - thanks - Murf