PDA

View Full Version : Prodigy controller-- 40 amp Fuse Needed?

trailguide2u
05-04-2002, 22:32
Since the Dmax has two batteries is the fuse needed? I called a local GM dealer. I was told if power to Prodigy comes on when the ignition is turn off you don't need the 40 amp fuse. I did a search and see that there are mixed opinions. I have towed a trailer without the fuse and no problems. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks!

Colorado Kid
05-06-2002, 07:16
I know for sure, I kept very good track with the meter when I wired my 5th wheel plug.

The brake controller operation is not effected at all by the fuse.

There is a pin in the 7 pin plug by the reciever which, in the diagram on the cap, is labled "+". When the fuse is out this pin is not connected to anything (no voltage and no continuity). When the 40 amp fuse is installed in slot 1 there is battery voltage on the "+" pin all the time.

In my 5'er the "+" pin provides power to the trailer batteries. On a flatbed car hauler I tow it doesn't do anything.

The confusion comes about from a note in the owners manual about auxilliary batteries. Here is the shortened and written in plain english version. (If you want the "+" pin to be hot)

Gas Engine with 1 battery = install the 40 amp fuse in slot 1.
Gas Engine with 2 batteries = throw the fuse away.
Diesel Engine (with 2 batteries) = install the fuse in slot 1.

You now know more than you wanted to about what your dealer does when he doesn't know the answer! :eek:

RealBigTruck
05-06-2002, 09:54
In my trailer the 40amp fuse provided voltage for overhead lights inside my trailer.

Gary

trailguide2u
05-08-2002, 18:32
Thanks! --More knowledge here than the GM dealers.

AlaskaDmax
05-08-2002, 23:50
When you guys installed your prodidy, did you trim the length of the cable assy that GM provided?...dang thing is like 6 feet long!

Colorado Kid
05-09-2002, 08:24
I s'pose we should have mentioned that here. The advice my buddy who did his first gave me was, "First take some string and measure from where you want to mount the controller to where it plugs in, including the slack to route the bundle where you want it. Then cut like 3 feet of wire out of the two harnesses or you'll be able to control the trailer brakes from the trailer!" It's good advice because you'd spend more time trying to figure out how to tie up all the extra wire than you will making the measurement.

AlaskaDmax
05-09-2002, 10:49
I cut a bunch off of both jumpers and it came out perfect. When I remove the prodigy from the cradle there is just enough slack to unplug and the connector sits nicely inside the cradle out of the way.

trailguide2u
05-09-2002, 18:39
Guys --when you order your Prodigy you can also purchase a quick connect harness that Tekonsha sells for $8.00. Just plug it in to the black box by the brake peddle.

Colorado Kid
05-10-2002, 08:55
Or you can use the one that GM already included in your glovebox, if you sprung for the trailering package, which plugs into exactly the same slot.

AlaskaDmax
05-10-2002, 09:29
Colorado,

That is the one we are talking about trimming, 'cause it is so dang long! :D

trailguide2u
05-12-2002, 21:32
I guess I should of been more specific. The quick connect harness that Tekonsha sells requires no cutting or splicing. Hook one end to the Prodigy and one to fuse block---Done.

[ 05-12-2002: Message edited by: trailguide2u ]</p>