PDA

View Full Version : Fram Filters

Murf
06-16-2003, 16:40
Seems I heard some chatter re Fram Filters (fuel specifically) not being the 'filter of choice' for some - it must be a personal choice issue but are there any proven problems with these filters and if so, why do some distributors on TDP provide/sell them? Thanks - Murf

dmaxalliTech
06-16-2003, 17:34
MURF, If you find they are not of LKQ quality, I will refund your filter purchase. I am confident in them as I have found them to be made by Racor. I run them myself. No problems.

gardnerteam
06-16-2003, 18:10
Fram buys out a lot of the odd ball fuel filters from the OE manufacturer. Several years ago I found late model 6.5 Turbo fuel filters in a Fram box at Wally World for a unbelievable low price - less than 1/2 of NAPA stocking dealer, which is a reboxed Stanadyne (stamped on the steel bottom of the filter). Pulled it out of the box, and it was also a reboxed Stanadyne OE filter (stamped on the steel bottom of the filter). Called Stanadyne and they admitted it was the exact same filter they sold everybody else - they said they were the only manufacturer. Had Wally World get me a case - way too cheap for the same Stanadyne quality filter. Am I correct in assuming from this thread that Fram now has the D/Max fuel filter in its lineup?

Silver Bullet
06-16-2003, 18:10
Murf,
I believe it is the Fram oil filters that are lacking. I had an extra and shipped it off to Mdrag. He found it was not up to the quality of other filters he had inspected.

Check out: Mdrag's filter pics (http://community.webshots.com/user/mdragosl) and filter thread (see Mdrag's comments) (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=005649#000021)

mdrag
06-16-2003, 20:29
Silver Bullet,

Thanks for posting the links on the Fram OIL filter. I have not seen a Fram fuel filter yet - I'd bet it is a rebadged Racor. If someone wants to send me a new/used Fram FUEL filter, I'll volunteer to cut it open for inspection and post my findings.

dmaxalliTech
06-17-2003, 05:54
MDRAG, i will send you a filter, email me with shipping address.

a64pilot
06-17-2003, 09:30
Regardless of what it says on the outside, all fuel filters are made by Racor, right?
Filters that fit on the stock head of course.

Silver Bullet
06-17-2003, 10:24
Mdrag,
I just got a few of the Fram fuel filters from dmaxalliTech...the box says "Fram", but the filter looks like a Racor...from the outside.

Murf
06-17-2003, 11:06
dmax, don't think I'll be requiring any type of refund, however appreciate your offering. Was more interested in what others had to say about the Fram filters in general as I really don't have the experience to call it one way or the other. The bottom line is with as much money as I paid for this truck, I want to be sure the cost/type of filter dosen't ruin for me. Appreciate the input so far and dmaxs' professional approach. Thanks - Murf

hoot
06-17-2003, 11:31
No wonder Racor filters are so cheap....

Fram sells them tongue.gif

mdrag
06-17-2003, 11:57
Regardless of what it says on the outside, all fuel filters are made by Racor, right? Filters that fit on the stock head of course. a64pilot,

That's the way I understood it, and Silver Bullet's post that they appear the same as Racor...

I replied to dmaxalliTech's offer for a sacrificial Fram fuel filter, and will post my findings after I cut it open.

mdrag

dmaxalliTech
06-17-2003, 17:27
mdrag, filter is on its way.

Murf, I would rather you be confident in what you put on your truck then sell you parts. I think Mdrags tests are gonna be much better then what I did and look forward to his results.

WhiteDuramax
06-17-2003, 17:46
Fram oil filters arent very good quality from what I have seen, my buddys Cummins blew a hole in the fram oil filter on it. Dont have much expericence with thier fuel filters. The Fram factory is about 15 miles from me.

Searay90
06-17-2003, 18:41
Well I personally know that the FRAM Air filter has about half as many pleats in it as the factory air filter. After discovering the defect in my factory air filter a few months back, the only one I could find in town was a FRAM. It does not have nearly the amount of filtering media as the AC Delco and still cost me $25 :mad:

mdrag
06-24-2003, 22:51
dmaxalliTech,

The FRAM fuel filter arrived. I cut it open for inspection using an Airwolf Filter Cutter (http://www.airwolf.com/). It appears to be of identical construction compared to the OEM Racor - even the part number sticker on the O-ring bag is the same - exact part number and font style/size. The filter media also looks to be the same.

I took pics and will post them in the next day or so. Thanks for providing the sample.

dmaxalliTech
06-25-2003, 12:04
Mdrag, no problem for supplying sample. I could not see any differences either, but you have more expierence in the comparisons then I do. Thanks for checking it out. smile.gif

mdrag
06-25-2003, 19:27
The FRAM FUEL FILTER PICS (http://community.webshots.com/album/78464371PcGaFz) are posted. The second link in my sig will also take you to my albums on Webshots.

Murf
06-29-2003, 15:21
Wow, you guys really went the distance on this one - Fram ought to be givin you guys a kick back.

So based on mdrags 'disection surgery' on the Fram Filter - it comes up looking as if Racor actually manufactures this particular fuel filter for Fram, correct? Now, this begs the question - is the Racor filter considered a 'superior' filter? I assume it is!

Thanks to dmaxallitech and mdrag for thier indepth research into all of this - really helps to clear up some questions!!