PDA

View Full Version : Time Required to install long block??

Shaun091382
12-29-2003, 09:32
For someone with a good background in diesel mechanics how long would it take one to transfer all the required components from an old engine to a new long block and get her runnin? just looking for some figures here!

JoeyD
12-29-2003, 12:18
For a guy with a shop and all the tools, I would say in and out in 1 day. I have not done a diesel but have done gas motors and have had motors out of cars in an hour before.
If I was to do it, I would hope for,
day one remove motor swap all parts to new long block and have it back in.
day 2 for what ever is left, lines and what not.

TurboDiverArt
12-29-2003, 12:30
Are you asking because you are going to try it yourself or as an estimate on labor? I've been curious about this myself. If you were paying a diesel shop to do the swap, what's the expected hours and labor charge to do this?

Thanks,
Art.

Shaun091382
12-29-2003, 13:19
I have no idea what labor costs for a diesel shop are but i am sure it won't be cheap..im just trying to get a rough estimate of time to do this i will more or less get someone else to do this for me when the time comes... i will try to find a local mechanic with diesel experience to take on this job when it is time..thanks for your responses.

TurboDiverArt
12-29-2003, 13:31
When you do get an estimate please post it here. Not that I expect to change engines anytime soon but I'd be interested in knowing.

If anyone else knows what the "typical" charge/time for a compete engine swap is I'd be interested. Is it cheaper to have a shop machine and rebuild the engine vs. buying a long block? I know the advantages of having the engine rebuilt are that you can build it with lower compression if desired.

Thanks,
Art.

AndyL
12-30-2003, 04:22
It took myself and a couple buddies 5 hours to completly remove the engine my my 86 4x4 Burb, we weren't in a big hurry. This included purging the AC. This was our first Diesel but all 3 of us had plenty gasser pulls under our belt.

ANXIOUS-SUBMAN
12-30-2003, 19:19
The work ticket from my warranty engine replacement last year states 13.10 hrs.
Labor rate: $56/hr

TurboDiverArt
12-31-2003, 16:30
For a grand I'd probably let someone else do it. I've done more gas motors than I care to think about but for some reason I have this fear of doing a diesel in a 4x4. With 120K on my truck I hope to not have to make that decision for a while. Who knows, by the time I need to replace the engine, maybe they will have a D-max in a Burb.

Art.

GARY PAGE
01-01-2004, 14:22
Took me 2 weeks!

TurboDiverArt
01-01-2004, 16:50
Originally posted by GARY PAGE:
Took me 2 weeks! Would have been a well spent grand.

Art.

Jim P
01-01-2004, 17:44
When I bought my truck, the crank was broke so I had to haul it home on a trailer.

I by myself started about 5:30 am on a saturday unloading the truck off the trailer and removing the engine. I had the motor out at about noon and had the motor completely torn down to the bare block by about 5:00 pm.

When I was putting it back together, I put the short block(block, crank, pistons and rods) together on a friday night. The next morning I worked on finishing putting the motor together. By 9:00 pm I had the motor sitting in the truck but not all hooked up. I started working again, sunday at 8.00am and by 11.00 am I had the truck running. This was all completely by myself.

If you have to switch alot of parts to the new motor, it does take time. I think putting on all the manifolds, injector pump, turbo, pulleys and access. took me about as long as actually installing the motor.