PDA

View Full Version : Tire Price Surprise

hammer
07-03-2002, 19:45
Well Guys,what a surprise I got when I started looking into the price on a new set of Michelins.I got the 3500 & of course theres 6 tires involved.Well the Goodyears arnt gonna cut it before to long so Im replacing them.Called a Farm & fleet dealer & they said they could order them for me for they didnt have them in stock.I fiqure I got till fall before replacement & asked how much they would be.When he told me I had to sit down from the shock.$200.00 a tire that included mounting & balancing & installing them on the truck.Bottom line I didnt think they were that much.Definitly gonna shop around.Fiqured no more then about $100.00 a tire.Hammer :eek:

NutNbutGMC
07-03-2002, 20:35
^.... Just the way it is. I priced 265's at Sam's Wholesale for dollars 174, mount and balance included. They are well worth the investment. You'll get exactly what you pay for, no matter what tire you buy. Buy cheap and you'll get cheap. Just my dollar 0.02 worth.

pepperidge
07-03-2002, 21:14
Try http://www.tirerack.com good prices & no sales tax Should be able to get Mich xps ribs for about $160 or so ( that's what I paid on the D*#dg Dually about two years ago.

Lawnboy
07-03-2002, 21:19
hammer,

The days of $100 truck tires are slowly going away! Just remember, this is probably a tire that your farm store "normally" doesn't carry = SPECIAL ORDER. Probably from a tire dealer that they dont usually deal with. The other thing to remember is that yours is a dually, and they require a little more "work" to mount.

Just remember that our tires are still cheaper than many "sports car" tires!

mackin
07-03-2002, 21:44
hammer,

As pepperidge said that is a good place to compare and get prices......I have purchased rims and tires for my car there. Good service.......Also the xps rib, nice tires. I'm running them now, not one complaint. Of course I got them locally for Panhandler pricing....... Through an over the road Truck tire dealer..... Just my luck he had 7 on the floor......I took six, for I had no spare rim for # seven.......

Due you have a Costco in your area? Another cheap place to get MICHELINS.......

MAC smile.gif

hammer
07-05-2002, 09:31
Mackin,Nope,no store like that here in this area.Gonna hunt a little cause I still got till this fall before replacement on them. Thanks alot to you guys out there for the Imfo & help.Hammer smile.gif smile.gif

spctr13
07-05-2002, 10:21
Hammer

Try "Tires Plus" in Janesville , off of 14 , past Farm&Fleet , across from Home Depot . I was in a rush and settled for Firestone's 265/75's , but their price with mounting , etc. etc. was better then the others .

Mac

pepperidge
07-05-2002, 10:50
Hey Mackin,

Seeing as you got the 4x4 shouldn't did you go with the XPS Traction?

I find that the xps rib lasted for about 60k on the rear and about 50k on the front of the D*#ge (no juice)

Man, any chopped up tread pattern on the front of the D*#ge and you bought a set every 18k.

Just wondering if you would see that kind of wear on the front of the bowtie.

mackin
07-05-2002, 12:30
pepperidge,

I will only be running them in the summer spring and fall ... Not in that order ....... :D

I'm gonna take them off with them "SHINEY" polished rims before the sh*t flies up here , so they stay "shiney" and not pitted........ So not in any need for traction in addition that FAT A$$ doesn't go off road ,if anything, a dirt gravel road up north..... So I like the quiet comfy ride I get...... I'll put the steel (I have two sets of rims) back on with perhaps a different tread pattern this winter,as the stock GOOD for a YEAR tires sux ........

MAC :D

IndigoDually
07-05-2002, 12:53
Hey Hammer, Why don't You wait until you leave to points "South" in the fall and scout out a few wholesale clubs in Your travels. If you can save the $40 for membership in one purchase than it is worth it. Check BJ's Wholrsale Club, Costco and Sam's on the net and find some locations that are in Your travels.

John

hammer
07-05-2002, 15:06
Indago Dually, Ya,I thought about that but dont know if the prices down south will be cheaper or not.Were headed for Vagus in Oct.,then through Calif. to Ariz.,then into Texas,Corpus Cristi& St.Podre Is. for the rest of the winter.I should have enough tread left to reach that area but dont know what the cost would be versus up here in Wisc.Thanks for the thought.Hammer smile.gif smile.gif

hammer
07-05-2002, 15:10
Specter 13,Ill try Tires Plus .Thanks.Hammer smile.gif smile.gif P.S. I new were it was but Im just playing the field for now,Kinda hoping for a good break.

FirstDiesel
07-05-2002, 17:17
http://www.tirerack.com

Michelin LTX M/S $140
Michelin LTX A/S $138
Michelin XPS Rib $159

hammer
07-05-2002, 17:49
First Diesel,Ya,That looks better.Will check on were theres a dealer in our area.Thanks,Hammer smile.gif smile.gif

GBurton
07-05-2002, 19:40
hammer

http://www.tirerack.com
Michelin LTX M/S $140
Michelin LTX A/S $138
Michelin XPS Rib $159

Be careful, I don't believe all of those Michelin listed come on 10 ply rating.

George

Maverick
07-05-2002, 21:16
When I was living in Wisconsin, I always had good luck at Southside Tire in Schofield (Wausau). 715-359-0366 or 715-359-4277.

Now I don't feel so bad on paying $214 for my Michelin XDE-MS 225/70-19.5's for my 01' dually.

BigO
07-06-2002, 00:06
Hammer:

What part of AZ will you be in?

Would you settle for Goodyear Tires if the price is RIGHT? If so, what tires would you want and size. I can get you a price and you can go from there.

FirstDiesel
07-06-2002, 09:10
TireRack is online and ship to you and you get them installed locally. Been using them for years including my race tires for the track cars.

The Michelins I quoted were load range E tires.

hammer
07-06-2002, 10:07
Big O, Were gonna stop in Mesa first cause the wife has an Aunt living there.Then to Yuma cause her Dad has a Park Model there for the winter months.Well be heading down into Texas toward the St. podre Is. from there for the winter. smile.gif smile.gif Thanks for the offer but I would like to stay with the Michelins.It looks like I'll be going with Tire rack on them.Got a dealer in our area I have found.Wanna thank all you guys for the Imfo on this subject.If ya see a Pewter Duelly with the name Hammer on the bug Deflector thatll be me.Never know if Ill run into you guys traveling around the U.S.I can tell ya this that we sure can be proud of these trucks for I have so many people asking me about mine.And just love going by the F-trucks & the D-Trucks when there struggling up the hills.Ya gotta love it.Hammer smile.gif smile.gif

hammer
07-06-2002, 11:07
First Diesel, Looked into it & got it all lined up for purchase through tirerack next fall.Gonna have them ship dropped to the dealer & mounted.Thanks.Hammer smile.gif smile.gif

FirstDiesel
07-06-2002, 13:05
Glad to help.

I've always been happy with them and I'm going to get the Michelins for "Big Truck" when the stockers start showing signs of wearing out.

hammer
07-06-2002, 13:14
First Diesel,My tires arnt gonna get 40,000. Oh Well,Ya might know GM isnt gonna give ya something for nothing.Who does these days LOL.Hammer

bigbobed
07-06-2002, 14:48
hammer

Where're you staying in Texas? If you're going to South Padre Island,you gotta go thru my town to get there.

hammer
07-06-2002, 21:21
Big Bobed,Not sure were were gonna stay in that area yet. We just travel were our wheels take us.Hammer smile.gif smile.gif

3176CATPOWER
07-06-2002, 21:42
Hammer, if you get around Madison there is a tire dealer named Weber at East Bristol (between Sunpraire and Columbus off 151)sells GoodYears really cheap.Check it out.

hammer
07-07-2002, 10:12
Catpower,No more Goodyears,Cant get any mileage out of them.Already got it set up with tirerack to purchase them.(Michelins).Appreciate the Imfo.ThanksHammer smile.gif smile.gif