PDA

View Full Version : cargo light

TSimpler
11-30-2002, 20:34
Has anyone connected there cargo light to the B/U lights and to a headache rack. I tried to do this by wiring into the switch for the cargo light but had very strange results. (You wouldnt believe me if it told ya).

Does anyone have any ideas

Trent

IndigoDually
12-01-2002, 08:34
I tried to tap in at the switch without any luck. If anyone could steer me in the right direction it would help. I am thinking along the lines of using a relay but I need the correct wires to tap into at the switch to activate the relay.

John

[ 12-01-2002: Message edited by: IndigoDually ]</p>

NJDMAX
12-01-2002, 18:35
Happy belated turkey day everyone,
I just went through the wiring diagram in the service manual.The cargo light is turned on by the ground not the +12 volt portion of the circut.It appears that the dark blue with white tracer wire is the switched ground. It also sends a ground signal to the body control module so we get the cargo light on warning in the instrument cluster. The back up lights are turned on by the +12 volt part of the circut.By using a relay and a diode the back up lights could probablly be used to turn on the cargo light.
Hope this helps.
Tom

Trent E-Mail me at njdmax@yahoo.com-I'll send you a copy of the diagram
PS. John,You have mail.

[ 12-01-2002: Message edited by: NJDMAX ]</p>

NJDMAX
12-01-2002, 19:39
Trent You have mail.
Tom

TSimpler
01-17-2003, 17:53
NJDMAX is my hero :cool: :cool: :cool:

Thanks for the help and time it took with my questions

Trent smile.gif

SWLA
01-20-2003, 11:37
Trent or Tom,

Maybe one of you can help me. I would like to add a pair of 55W backup lights. I wanted to wire them so that they came on when in reverse or when I turned on the cargo lights.

I planned to run power to the lights directly from the batterythrough a 30 amp relay. I planned the activate the relay using the backup lamp switch output from the center pin of the trailer harness, and buy turning on the cargo light switch. I thought I could tap run wires from each location and fuse them together before they enter the relay, using a diode on each wire. Trent, was what I described what you were trying to do?

I would assume I can't do this if the wire from the cargo switch is a gound and the signal from the trailer pin is +. Could one of y'all send me a copy of the diagram you were refering to?

Thanks.
Keane

keane@cox-internet.com

TSimpler
01-20-2003, 14:21
You have mail

Here is what I did

Run a 30 amp relay that switches on with the b/u lights fo rthe camper lighs or hard wire the backup lights and the camper lights, I ran a relay MAKE SURE YOU FUSE BOTH POWER WIRES FOR THE RELAY

but for the cargo switch you have to do it like this:
1. using a 30amp relay with a 15 amp fuse run power to the relay 14g wire is the min I would use

2. run the power to either the camper lights or the camper lights and the b/u lights (I ran both)from the relay.

3. ground the relay into the blue with white strip wire in the left "A" piller wire bundle or behind the cargo switch ("A" piller bundle was MUCH easier to work with for me). That will give you switched power with the cargo light switch. (the cargo switch is on the NEG side).

This also allows the cargo lamp warning to work as it should

NJDMAX was the one who I got the diagram from and was VERY helpful

Trent

hogbody
01-20-2003, 15:10
Will this wiring plan work on the 2003?

Larry

TSimpler
01-20-2003, 16:34
no idea...

but it doesnt hurt to look

I bet that if you find the blue and white wire you would be in luck