PDA

View Full Version : Tire Size

texags02
03-05-2005, 08:20
What is the largest size tire that will fit on a '03 GMC 2500HD crewcab 2WD duramax? The factory tires are just too small. I mounted some 285/75R-16 on from a friend on the front, but I needed to trim some of the air dam and innner fenderwell to not rub. I dont want to trim anything.

Joe Ogiba
03-06-2005, 05:30
I guess if you want something smaller than the 285's then get the LT265/75R16E's or if you want maximum fuel mileage get the LT235/85R16E Michelin XPS Rib tires that are just as tall as the 265's and have the same capacity as LT245/75R16E's at 3,042 lbs each.

96ccdd
03-06-2005, 05:47
Go here to compare sizes of BFG's .
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/assets/pdf/all_terrain_ta_kd.pdf

SLT556
03-06-2005, 15:49
BRG also has the "Commercial A/T" which is a load range E tire available in plus 245 sizes. There are two variants; all-season and traction.

DIESELMAX403
03-24-2005, 10:27
Before mounting anything larger than the recommended factory tire size on the stock 6.5" rims, consider what your use will be. I know people that have mounted LT 265/75 and LT 285/75. I would strongly advise against running 285's. Running 265's is ok as long has you are not hauling heavy loads especially with heavy tongue weights. I recently put Bidgestone REVO A/T 265/75 E rated tires on my truck and was surprised how bad they handled when towing. My back end was swaying all over. It felt as though my tires were going flat. It was bad enough for my wife to notice. I increased tire pressure from 70 psi to 75 psi (cold) and loosened the sway contol bar which helped some. I finally resorted to filling up my grey tank located in the back of the trailer which lessened the tongue weight. I never had this problem with the factory 245/75 tires. I am now shopping for 16 x 8 rims. I hope this fixes my problem. Has anyone else had similar experience?

CHILLINONTHERIVER
03-27-2005, 12:37
DIESELMAX403,
Yes I have that same problem. I put 285s on a dually and my back in sways horribly when towing my trailer. I use 2 stabilizer bars to keep it in check. I am debating on selling the tires and going back to stock but it just doesn't make much since to me to have a 4X4 with no lift or tires.

BlackMax 2001
04-05-2005, 10:17
ChillinOnTheRiver----How did you get 285 on a dually? I have a friend who has a 2005 dooley and he would like to know.

Grayfox
04-06-2005, 16:34
Be carefull... allision recently put a memo out about tire sizes to all tire dealers to caution customers not to go to anything larger than stock size tires or warrenty claims would be denied. OH WELL

CHILLINONTHERIVER
04-10-2005, 15:50
BlackMax2001,
I had to put new keys in the front to provide clearance and then for the rear I had to use a 2" spacer. If he is going to be towing I would not suggest it. It sways alot, I have to use 2 sway bars to keep it in check. Looks really good, not too high so you don't have to hear your friends complain about getting in but high enough to be useful.

mdadgar
04-17-2005, 09:18
I recently put Bidgestone REVO A/T 265/75 E rated tires on my truck and was surprised how bad they handled when towing. My back end was swaying all over. I had EXACTLY the same experience on my truck.

What fixed it completely was replacing the crummy stock shocks with 35K miles on them with a set of Bilsteins. The truck is now rock-solid while towing. It was a night-and-day improvement.

The REVOs also have a tall tread which squirms a lot when towing. They get better when they wear off a bit and stiffen up due to heat cycles.

- Mark

DA BIG ONE
04-19-2005, 01:36
I know this topic is about road tires, but I would like to toss this in about off road. Lots of individuals like the stock steel wheels narrow with the widest tire that will fit for off road, because the tire will actually fit tighter at the rim reducing the chance of tire popping at the bead (higher priced fix ar bead locks or combo beadlock & runflat inserts), but this is only for off road and slow speeds because the tire sidewalls are not built to deal with sidewall flex that can occur at highway speeds.

Now, I am not the expert here just passin on what I know to be common use of narrow rims.

I am still in a learning curve w/ tires and have found that there are some "D" rated tires that exceed the average "E" rating by 400+ lbs w/ maxium tire pressure of 65psi, this seems to be the best choice for ride comfort and overall load safety.

Another important issue is speed rating, I had bought expensive maxium traction tires and exceeded the 8? mph limit on them damaging the tires in quick order, having to replace them right away. Yes, I could blame the store that sold me the first set for not warning me about the speed limit issue, but it is a lession I will never forget because of the cost!

When it comes to tire safety on road, I think price is the last consideration, and if ones budget limits their choice, then save up, or do without something else, you really do not need and get the best tires you can.

DocsRoper
04-19-2005, 06:11
When you put a larger tire on your truck are you guys raising the front a bit by the torsion bars? Just wondering.

DmaxMaverick
04-19-2005, 16:50
Originally posted by DocsRoper:
When you put a larger tire on your truck are you guys raising the front a bit by the torsion bars? Just wondering. Yes, I did. I have 285/75/16's and raised the front 1.5" +. Very effective and no problems in 75K.

Big'un
I took advantage of the larger tire/lower ply rating (285/75/16D) a long time ago. Much better ride, performance and appearance, plus higher weight capacity at lower pressure, 3305 @ 65 PSI. Many trailering miles with a 11.8K 5'er. The tires are mounted on Centerline Extreme Duty 16x8's. Tire/wheel pics are in my sig. link.

cday
05-03-2005, 07:20
When raising the torsion bars did you simply crank them up, or did you buy a level kit with the new keys?

Thanks, cday

twister11
05-03-2005, 07:36
I am running Firestone Destination a/t's. They are 305/70/16's on ultra 16x8 wheels. These tires are a ten ply compared to just about every other 285 that I have seen that is a 8 ply. I have also had BFG 285/75/16 and Bridgestone duelers in the last few year. The bridgestones were the worst for pulling and wear. The BFG's actually worked pretty good for pulling 10,000 pounds all day long @80MPH on the interstate. I just got the firestones so I am not really sure on them yet but they are a little wider that the 285's and the truck feels more stable, I dont know if it is from the 10ply tire or the extra width.