PDA

View Full Version : BUILT LIKE A ROCK!!!

colorado2002
12-01-2002, 13:01
My wife and I are thankful that we purchased a 2500HD last April. On Tuesday before Thanksgiving, a hot-shot drive here in Houston ran a stop sign and I watched him drive right in the driver's side of my truck. He had quite a bit of mass since he was loaded. If we had been in my blazer or my S-10, the best outcome I could have had would have been a stay in the hospital. My wife says she never wants another "small" vehicle since she feels safer "up high where I can see everything that is going on".

I have posted the pictures on yahoo.photos.com/dwsuzcolorado. The cab mountings were broken and the rear of the cab is 4-5" over to the right side of where it should be. Also, the frame is bent. And, naturally, the other drive, who got the ticket, did not have insurance. It was cancelled on October 22. What luck. Now I have to fight the hot-shot company he worked for.

As my boss says "It seems like the stars have to line up for unnatural things to happen". I had just left my doctor's office from an appointment they had requested. I went thinking that some results of tests were given to me incorrectly. When he came in to see me, he said "What can I do for you today?" I told him that his office had requested the appointment and that I did not know why I was there. He looked through my file and figured out that another doctor that had covered for him when he was on vacation did not feel comfortable renewing a prescription that I needed.
He apologized for the inconvenience, renewed my prescription and didn't charge me for the visit. I promptly left his office, drove one block and stopped at a four-way stop intersection, pulled out when it was my turn and was T-Boned as my son says. If not for the unneeded doctor's visit, my truck would be in my garage right now.

Pictures are at yahoo.photos.com/dwsuzcolorado.

JimWilson
12-01-2002, 13:09
That's a terrible story, just glad to hear that you and your wife walked away. While you say your luck is bad, sounds like you had a bit of good luck to me (in one respect, anyway).

BTW; your link to the pics is no good. Pity too, because I wanted to see how your truck faired.

mackin
12-01-2002, 14:45
Try this link......
=>http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/dwsuzcolorado/lst?.dir=/My+Photos&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/

OUCH !!!!!! Man that sucks!!!!!! Glad to here no one got hurt......

MAC

Paintdude
12-01-2002, 14:59
They might try and fix it..I hope they don`t for your sake..New frame,doors,Rocker-door opening,cab back,bedside,repair floor,bed inside..All the drivetrain is ok and no air bags deployed..

Sometimes it is best to repair for you, because of the money you will loose on a totaled vehicle..Most generally you loose money when they total a exspensive vehicle..

Around here it takes 80% of the value to total a unit..That is total, fixed-repaired cost..

Sure glad you all are ok..Big units have an advantage on the road..

JimWilson
12-02-2002, 15:38
Thanks -- that 2nd link worked...

You're right, that's ugly. But I'll bet that the insurance company doesn't total it. That truck cost a lot of $$ (especially with the dmax). I'd be very surprised if they don't want to fix it.

Good luck!

colorado2002
12-02-2002, 19:00
I'm sorry. The correct link is photos.yahoo.com/dwsuzcolorado.

Deep down I hope they total it because I have the gap insurance to cover the difference but, I can't bring myself to like the 03's. I looked at a GMC today and it doesn't have the air dam built in front of the transmission cooler. Maybe a possibility.

I really feel that GM built a real truck when the HD's came out and my wife and I are thankful for them.

ryeguy
12-02-2002, 21:48
Yep. Ouch.

'Round these parts, once the frame is tweaked like that, odds are _very_ high that the truck is written off.

--Rob