PDA

View Full Version : Allison Tranny.. might be toast?

oneton
07-07-2002, 17:12
Well, this a first I heard but maybe someone here had a simular experience. My neighbor's truck, an 2001 2500 D/A and only has 30,000 miles on her, took a dump. The Allison had no gears except for 4th and had his 36' fiver behind him. He said it starting acting funny with a vibration so he pulled over to check things out along side the road. After doing so, and seeing tranny fluid everywhere he filled it up to get it out of the way. He had only 4th gear to get things moving along. He parked it in a lot and drove the bike home. We drove back up about an hour and half later and she seemed fine (after dumping another half gallon in) driving home until with 3 miles left to home it shuttered again. The last turn she dropped out of drive hard and back in. The front end of my truck is soaked in fuild in just 10 miles. Anyone else have this happen to them? It's feaking me out because I'm going pick up my truck this week. I'll burn thru the 36,000 miles in less than a year. Then I'm on my own. Lucky for him, he's still under warranty but I hate to think if he had waited a little longer to pull the fiver and find out this after the GM say's tough luck.

mackin
07-07-2002, 17:46
oneton ,

As stated here previously=>
Don't quote me but, sounds like the torque converter bolts backing out and causing torque converter to shift in turn causes pump to spew it's guts....... RR @ local dealer.......This has been brought up with other people here having pretty much same problem, but in different situations......

MAC :(

[ 07-07-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

oneton
07-07-2002, 20:03
Thanks Mackin, but does that explain why he would only have 4th gear?

mackin
07-08-2002, 04:24
oneton ,

Perhaps it went into limp mode........The condition will reset it self,which explains when he went back and restarted truck it shifted ok,as you said. Let us know the out come. Thanks,,,

Mac

oneton
07-15-2002, 17:34
Well guys, it was a broken weld on the converter. They replaced the converter and he's off and running again. I'm glad to see it wasn't anything major with the mechanics.

Picked up the new truck this weekend and lovin'it. See the post "It's in my driveway" for pictures.