PDA

View Full Version : Awesome for towing!

Cowboy_120
12-01-2002, 18:41
Hey guys, I just got back from a 600 mile trip hauling my new horse trailer. This truck has balls! I only lose maybe 10 km/h going up long grades, and I am still passing all the other guys!

I have put some new pics on my website of my truck and trailer combo if anyone is interested. one note, these pics were taken a couple of months ago, now we have 3 inches of snow!

Cowboy_120
12-01-2002, 18:43
sorry, when i added the link it didnt work, lets try again!

Paintdude
12-01-2002, 19:09
Cowboy,will that thing fit into your garage??

Nice truck..GMC!!!!! Right On!

Idle_Chatter
12-01-2002, 19:13
Funny you should mention that. I was up near Scranton, PA a few months ago. Coming home, late at night and in the rain on the Northeast extension of the PA Turnpike, I started passing a bunch of duallies pulling horse trailers. I realized that I was near Pocono Downs raceway. I must have passed half a dozen Fords and Dodges and was humming along a long upgrade in cruise at 65 when I notice a set of headlights with clearance lights coming up on me. It catches me, slides over in the left lane and by goes a 3500 DMax pulling a *big* horse trailer holding at least a steady 75 and not even breaking a sweat! Gotta make you feel good! :D

Hammer Down
12-01-2002, 19:42
Idle_Chatter

I saw your pics on your Aux. fuel tank and how you have a topper with that. I would like to put a topper on my truck but I was concerned about fumes and that. Are there any?

Paintdude
12-01-2002, 19:49
Transfer Flow makes a filler neck kit for truck toppers..Check out thier site..

Hammer Down
12-01-2002, 20:02
Thanks paintdude, I'll check it out.

Idle_Chatter
12-02-2002, 08:21
Hammer Down, I gave you a detailed response in the other thread. FYI to you and Paintdude, in the past Transferflow would refuse to sell that kit to anyone who wasn't installing it on one of *their* tanks. They refused to sell the kit to a couple of people here on TDP and I never even bothered to ask. That may have changed. FWIW, there are many options out there on aux tanks. American Tank in Houston (www.auxtank.com) made mine and they are not cheap, my kit was $937. BUT, they offer the most complete kit and great service before and after the sale and I highly recommend them. You can get a tank for $200-300 with no fittings or accessories and manage to plumb it in yourself, but the American kit comes with nuts, bolts, wireties, prewired harness, fittings, hoses, clamps, 6-way valve, directions and even the tool to separate the factory cooler hose. It's worth every penny.

HD Hauling
12-02-2002, 16:32
Hi there,
Try hooking on to a 5th wheel and see how your truck pulls it espescially on rolling hills or when it's a little windy.
That's what they should make commercials out of,something that will make the truck show what it really has.
That's my 2 cents worth!!
Have a good time with your new truck.

Cowboy_120
12-02-2002, 18:28
Ya, well by the time I have loaded all my gear and 4 horses into the trailer, I am pushing a trailer weight of 15,000 lbs loaded. You dont really feel a difference pulling an empty trailer vs a full trailer!
I just find that the truck takes a long time to shift back into 5th after you have gone up a hill. It will take at least 15 sec of it reving at 3000RPM in 4th before it shifts into 5th even when the road has leveled out. Oh well, once I put int he aux. fuel tank it wont matter much.

Cowboy_120
12-02-2002, 18:37
sorry guys, i just realized i had the wrong link up there. try the new one, there are many new pics.

Rebel_Horseman
12-03-2002, 08:19
Cowboy:

You've got a nice set up there. I just bought my new-to-me '01 and I installed a gooseneck ball last night. Going to northeast TX this weekend with the cattle trailer and coming back with a bull or 2. I'm looking forward to seeing what this truck can really do.

Reb [><]