PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Oil Cooler Lines

BigMikeO
04-07-2004, 06:36
My Transmission oil cooler lines are broken just below the nut that attaches to the Cooler.

I have checked around and none of the autoparts stores have a clue when it comes to Transmission cooler lines. The Stealer quoted me $78 per line and says that you can not just purchase the nut thingy.

My question is can I use standard rubber tubing to replace the entire oil cooler lines, if so What should i use. Can I use pressure fittings where you stick the barbed metal fittings inside the tube or is there too much pressure for that. Basically I just need to replace the hoses as inexpensivly as possible, I think I will need to replace the actual oil cooer with an aftermarket item because I can't find a replacement connector that will fit into the old one.

Thanks for reading my rambling.

Mike

JohnC
04-07-2004, 10:29
The pressure in the lines is very low. Problem is, I think the fitting on the (radiator) cooler is flared, so you need a flared fitting. A brake line may be the same. For that matter, if you can get hold of a flaring tool you may be able to repair the old one. Or add a short extension. If the break is at the air to air cooler, I don't know what kind of fittings are there.

TurboDiverArt
04-07-2004, 18:23
Originally posted by JohnC:
The pressure in the lines is very low. Problem is, I think the fitting on the (radiator) cooler is flared, so you need a flared fitting. A brake line may be the same. For that matter, if you can get hold of a flaring tool you may be able to repair the old one. Or add a short extension. If the break is at the air to air cooler, I don't know what kind of fittings are there. I don't know if the radiator is any different than the one on my Buick. Most of the Buick guys that race replace the steel lines to the radiator cooler with an AN-6. On the Buick, you remove the line to the radiator as well as the adapter fitting in the radiator. You replace it with an AN-6 male to pipe type fitting. You basically end up with an AN-6 nipple out of the radiator. You then connect up an AN-6 line to it. I don't know if this helps. Naturally that