PDA

View Full Version : Power mirror wiring question

Heartbeat Hauler
05-06-2002, 11:48
I ordered the trailer mirrors with 01 dually and would like to add aftermarket mirrors (power). Camping World offers a kit that includes the switch and mirrors for 500 bucks. I was wondering if the actual power connector is in the door even though I don't have the power option? You would think that it would be apart of the harness. Anyway, I realy don't want to take it apart if someone knows for sure...anybody tried this yet?

Oops! shoulda put this in accessories forum. sorry

[ 05-06-2002: Message edited by: Heartbeat Hauler ]</p>

DmaxMaverick
05-06-2002, 15:07
Being that I don't have what you have, I can't say for sure, but would think the wires are there. GM has been using the same wiring harness for all the trucks. You don't have to take it apart to find out. Just pop off the triangle cover on the inside and you should be able to see what is there. You may have to move the insulation, but the whole ordeal should take no more than about 30 seconds, if you take your time.

TLA
05-06-2002, 15:12
I had the same problem. I gambled that the wiring was there, and it was. You can check by removing the triangular piece inside the door that covers the mirror mounts (called a shark fin). Remove that piece by carefully prying up the edge closest to the door edge (to release the clips), then lifting up. There should be a wiring plug there.
Another check is to pry up the window switch panel (side closest to your left arm), and see if there is a white plug loose in there. I find it difficult to imagine the wiring is not there, but some people have found it missing. If you have a heated rear glass, then you can have heat to your mirrors as well. Good luck.

Ironhead
05-06-2002, 15:39
TLA,
I noticed you have kelderman air ride. That one never came up in web searches. How do you like it? was it worth it? I would like to hear any of your thoughts on it if you dont mind. Thanks ...

bearman
05-06-2002, 17:35
Heartbeat Hauler
yup, the wiring is all in place.
Cheers
Bear

TLA
05-07-2002, 06:36
Try www.keldermanmfg.com for their web site.
As to my experience, it works really well empty, towing a 2-horse trailer, or even pulling my hay trailer (at 34,000# gross). I have the level control, and that is really great. Where it does not shine is when I have my 6-horse on, as all the junk over the pin and the location on the axles makes for quite high pin weight. They warned me that might happen, and that I might need to add air bags - I'll tow this weekend with them, and see how it works. It has ended up being quite pricy. However, since towing my trailer with a vehicle equipped with some king of air suspension, I have had almost no popped rivits and no broken welds, and I do belive the horses ride a whole lot better.
Tom

3-Fan
05-07-2002, 10:57
I have the towing mirrors, no rear window defrogger, and only have the wiring to the passenger side shark fin area. You would think that the wiring would be on the drivers side also. Maybe it fell down into the door. But my guess it isn't there.

Heartbeat Hauler:
I haven't seen those mirrors in the Camping World catalog. Do you have a part # on them?

Thanks!!

[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: 3-Fan ]</p>

Heartbeat Hauler
05-07-2002, 10:58
Thanks guys I appreciate the responses. Well, time to get mirrors... :D

3-FAN,
The mirrors aren't in the catlog. I happened to be visiting family in Gainesville Texas and there is a Camping World facility just 20 minutes south of there (Denton). When I stopped in to find some valve stem 90* extenders I saw the mirror display that included the switch. The guy actually had to call to find out if they made them for the 2001 & newer HDs. They do & they are 500 bucks plus install ($195). I think I have the part # some where but I'll have to dig for it.

[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: Heartbeat Hauler ]</p>

Redhawk
05-07-2002, 11:46
The wiring harness might be where you want it, but how about the switch that moves the mirrors? How would you move the mirrors without it? Is there a way you can mount one on the arm rest where all the rest of the buttons are mounted?

Heartbeat Hauler
05-07-2002, 12:42
RedHawk,
The kit that I am looking at provides a switch that can be mounted pretty much where ever you want it. However, I am thinking about replacing the the section of armrest, that holds the window switch, with a new section that has the mirror controls, or possibly modifying the current rest. I'm not sure what I'll do yet but it's nice to know I have options...Ain't America great?!

trailhorserider
05-07-2002, 22:26
I bought a 2001 LS Regular cab with the camper mirrors (bought off the dealers lot). Only the wiring to the passenger-side window was present, although this alone saves quite a bit of work fishing wires through the dash area. I purchased the mirror switch and an armrest panel, took the door apart and hard wired a harness into the door. Not too bad a job once you figure out how to wire the switch. The wiring from the right hand side terminates in a large connector hidden by a panel next to the parking brake. I cut these wires out of the connector and wired in a separate small connector. Not having the power mirrors turned a 30 minute job into an all-day job, but the Lucerix mirrors have been worth the trouble.

TLA
05-08-2002, 07:22
I bought the factory switch from Berglund Chevrolet (Charlie). 1-800-999-7474. Had a terrible time locally. Part number is 15045085. Paid $21. Cobbled up a mount, but am ordering the proper panel for it.