PDA

View Full Version : Crew cab wind reverb .......

hoot
07-08-2002, 07:03
For those of you that noticed what happens when you open the rear windows going down the highway. You sometimes get a nasty low frequency reverberation that can get so bad the roof shakes.

Well guess what....

I had the pleasure of driving a friends brand new Toyota Land Cruiser (Over $50,000). It had the issue but was worse and even more prevelent at slower speeds.

To stop it from occuring simply change your window position.

SDWA
07-08-2002, 16:45
Ah yes! I nearly popped my eardrums out the first time I experienced it... another fix is to lower the front window on the same side that is open about 1-2"

Scott

JimWilson
07-09-2002, 06:31
Mine does the same -- design flaw I suppose. If you have the drivers side rolled all the way down I found the best way to minimize that sound is to lower both rear windows about 4-5 inches. Airflow is good, and the sound is almost gone entirely.

FirstDiesel
07-09-2002, 19:05
Man

You should have heard what my 93 Suburban sounded like. First time I opened the rear window without a front one open I thought I was hearing a flat rear tire. I actually pulled off the road to check it!!

Kennedy
07-09-2002, 20:25
I call it "helicoptering"

MaxRock
07-10-2002, 12:24
Kennedy, that is a great analogy! The first time this happened to me, I thought I was going to go deaf before I was able to close the windows. I have found with both back windows down, place the passenger window down about 1/2 way and the "helicoptoring" quits.

I do find it annoying when the rear seat belts start slapping against the interior panel.

Small price to pay...

MaxRock