PDA

View Full Version : Dmax / ZF 6 speed

tysmith
06-18-2003, 17:17
I'm planning on trading my '01 for a new one. This time, I'll be going for the ZF. There aren't any to be found around ME, NH, MA, or RI. Any chance there's an ext. cab 6 speed on somebody's lot somewhere in this country? :rolleyes:

GMCTRUCK
06-18-2003, 17:31
Doubt it. When mine came in after I ordered it the dealer said it was the first one they had ever sold. It's the only one I have ever personally seen. I did see one maybe 2 weeks ago at a dealer listing it in www.bargainnews.com (http://www.bargainnews.com) which covers CT, MA, NY etc. but mostly CT. It was an 03 ex cab doolie. That's all I remember about it.

1BADDMAX
06-19-2003, 07:03
I got lucky and found mine on the lot. Smokey Mountain Chevrolet in Franklin, NC, had about 10 6 speed ext. cab Duramax trucks two months ago. I do see a few of them around.

WhiteDuramax
06-19-2003, 15:36
A dealer here in Ohio had an 03 Reg Cab and a CC Dually both 6sp. 4x4.

JMJORDAN
06-19-2003, 19:09
There is dealer in Western PA that is getting 4 ZF trucks. Ben Bisset I think . Sales called me to tell me they where coming in . I told him sorry I bought one 10 months ago. I had mine shipped from virgina.

MaxRock
06-20-2003, 11:49
My experience was very similar to GMCTRUCK. I ordered my truck w/o driving a 6 speed. The dealer had never sold one or even seen one.

I've got over 50k on an 18 month old truck and it is flawless ... except for the d@$% squeeky clutch.

Good luck on your search.

MaxRock

rberner
06-22-2003, 07:49
Ty

You wouldn't be interested in a 2002 reg cab 4x4 zf6 by any chance? I'm thinking of selling mine as I am moving out of the country.

You may email me rberner6@yahoo.com

Seattle Steve
06-22-2003, 10:41
Talk to your local dealer. They all use a computer network that will give them a list of available vehicles within a specified number of miles or nationwide. You just need to supply the model and configuration to search for. Good luck, there are not many around. I ordered mine...

tysmith
06-22-2003, 19:14
Well, the dealer search revealed that there are few six speeds, let alone long bed. The dealer I'm working with is great. He is going to try and persuade a dealer to do a swap, but given the rarity, he's not hopeful. He did say that if they wouldn't do a swap, he'd give me the list of all the dealers with six speeds so I could try dealing with them myself. I may just be lazy and go for the ally again. He's got two ex cab shortbeds on the lot, real nice. I'm debating whether I need the long bed, or for that matter, can get it into my driveway - I live on a real narrow street. I don't think my wife will want to move just so I can get my truck into the driveway :D ...
Thanks for all of the input. I'll keep you posted.
Ty

luvthesmellofdiesel
06-24-2003, 08:00
I know when I bought my crew cab w/ ZF6 last year here in Austin, it was the only ZF6 on the lot and they had 30+ diesels lined up one after the other. The guy said someone special ordered it, then bailed. Luckily it was the right color, and pretty much everything I wanted (except it came with the dinky go-cart sized tires).

Tim

crafty
06-25-2003, 07:52
When I ordered my 01 6 speed I was one of the first on TDP to get one and I was the only one at my dealer to order one. Two years later they still haven't sold another one. That is what I call rare. I did have a flywheel replaced last summer but I would never trade the truck. I love the whole package, 6 speed and all.
Good luck tracking one down. It will be worth it.
:D :D :D

Jelisfc
06-25-2003, 09:55
I've only seen two 6 spds and one was in a 4500. The only problem you may have right now is if you order it may take longer if they shut down for changeover in July.

crafty
06-25-2003, 10:09
When I ordered mine, the factory was only building 6 speeds one week each month. All totalled my order took 11 weeks from start to finish. As I've said before, it was worth the wait. :D :D :D

tysmith
06-28-2003, 15:21
Well, I'll be changing my sig to read '03 Dmax/Allison Ex cab short box. I made some compromises, but I am sure I'll be happy with this combo. For instance, I can get it into my driveway, my wife will drive it if need be - she wouldn't touch my Do*ge 6 spd - and I love that 0 percent! I've never had a short bed, so we'll see. I have two other trucks with 9 foot utilities on them, so I'm not overly concerned. Anyway, thanks for all of the advise as always. I guess I'll get a 6 spd in a Mini Cooper instead! :D :D

Ty

GMCTRUCK
06-29-2003, 08:34
Huh? I consider it a bonus that my wife can't drive stick. ;)

MEP
07-03-2003, 19:30
tysmith,

I bought my o1 from MIRAK Chevrolet in Arlington, MA. To this date my truck is the only manual box they have sold. Just recently the commercial sales manager told me that GM was no longer gooing to offer the manual box.

tysmith
07-03-2003, 22:08
Interesting... Seems unlikely they would get rid of the six speed. Perhaps they are re-working it with a different flywheel? That seems to be the only problem people have experienced. Anyone else here of this?

Ty

Jelisfc
07-03-2003, 22:39
I heard a similar rumor last October on this site about 2003's. Hard to say until it happens. Only took six weeks to get mine.