PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Tank?

HDMXDiesel0817
09-18-2003, 14:26
Has anybody had a Transfer Flow 45gal midship replacement fuel tank installed on your trucks? I would like to think that the fuel gauge would be correct if you were to use the 45er, but I am not going to assume anything.

If installed is there an update or a way to reprogram the DIC, so that it knows that you have the 45 gal in there and can recalc for the est. mileage or no? (This does not matter as much as the fuel gauge, but I'm curious tongue.gif )

I'm thinking :rolleyes: about getting it, and/or possibly getting the in bed 70 gal. aux tank.(for my MT Rendevous trip(s) :D )...

Thanks!

Jon

[ 09-26-2003, 05:40 AM: Message edited by: HDMXDiesel0817 ]

Jack's Dmax
09-19-2003, 11:13
I had the 45 Gal TFI tank installed at the factory and am very pleased with it. The DIC still thinks that you have a 26 gallon tank, so that is a small problem which can't be fixed. The fuel gauge works OK and is reliable.

When the tank was installed, TFI filled the tank and gave me a chart with the follwing information.

Empty = 05 gal.
1/4 = 11 gal.
1/2 = 20 gal.
3/4 = 29 gal.
Full = 36 - 45 gal ( TFI says that it's possible to get 50 gallons in it. From my experiance, it's a very slow process and generally not worth the bother.

Last but not least, get the TFI large filler, and you will be able to use the same pumps as the big rigs. It takes less than 2 minutes to put 30 plus gallons in.

Good luck,

Jack

HDMXDiesel0817
09-19-2003, 14:44
Jack,

Thanks for your input on the TFI! With what you said about the fuel gauge working 'OK', are you saying that it knew how much was left in the 45er, or no? I read that you got the sheet, but that kinda confused me when you said that the fuel gauge worked 'OK,' guess you were talking about the sheet.
There isn't any place that is close around here that can install it and I don't have the time to get it somewhere yet, so I'll hold off a bit on the tank, still have time before the next rendevous, besides it'll give me time to line up all the mods to my truck. I'm compiling a list :rolleyes: .

The larger fillers RULE!!! I especially love the dual 120s (or 140s) I had to fill when I was OTR. Before I started working I thought I'd be there forever, ha it's like 5-10 min. and you're full, I love driving those RIGS. :D

Jack's Dmax
09-20-2003, 18:33
The OEM fuel gauge works fine it's just not very linear. With the full mark varying from 36 to 45 gallons it takes a while to get to half tank after that it drops faster. That is what I had in mind about it being "OK".

Also FYI: When I want to know how much farther I can go before fueling, I simply check the amount of fuel consumed plus the MPG (both per the DIC). Assuming a full 45 gallon supply, I can come pretty close to estimating my maximum range.

At my best MPG, I can go well over 650 miles before refueling.

Concerning where to get it installed, check WWW.TFI.com. (http://WWW.TFI.com.) They have a list of authorized installers listed by location.

Regards,
Jack

[ 09-20-2003, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: Jack's Dmax ]

mdadgar
09-20-2003, 19:26
Hell, my factory gauge is that non-linear, too.

- Mark

HDMXDiesel0817
09-26-2003, 05:42
Jack,

Thanks for the help, contacted TFI and am looking through the literature they sent me, to see which way I'll go on the tank(s). smile.gif

MAV
09-26-2003, 06:27
I had a 60 tank made and put it in the bed. Instead of having 45 gal and a 650 range, I got 86 gal and a 1600 mile range. Depends how much you use your bed I guess. Cost was $325 vs. the TFI price. Pics here! (http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=777914&uid=437876)