PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filler Neck for the Big Rig Pumps

Rebel_Horseman
12-03-2002, 12:26
Has anyone come up with a mod for these trucks so that we can pull up to the real diesel pumps and be gone in about half the time? The little auto diesel pumps are OK but I'd rather have a faster transfer rate. Another question...does anyone know if the big pumps are less prone to foaming the fuel while pupming? It seems like I can put at least another gallon in my truck after the pump kicks off the first time.

Reb [><]

IndigoDually
12-03-2002, 12:51
I believe TransferFlow makes a filler neck for the stock tank (around $80) that helps. Many have removed the insert in the filler neck and after doing it do not reccomend it. You can fill faster but when it shuts off it burps a quart or two of fuel out and all over the side of the truck.

John

Nels
12-03-2002, 13:24
Speaking from my own actual experience, I have had no serious problems with fueling after removing the insert from my filler neck. You have to be aware that the filler neck is also a big part of the venting of the tank while filling. If you put a big slug of fuel in the filler neck (so big that air gets trapped behind it in the tank), you will get fuel on your shoes. However, if keep the venting issue in mind, you can fill at reasonably fast levels without issue. The big rig fuel nozzles are still a bit of trouble, but I can usually run them on the first notch (which is faster than a small nozzle at the highest setting).

The only REAL solution to fueling with a big rig nozzle is to change the fuel inlet opening on the tank itself to a larger diameter, along with a high volume vent on the tank. No matter what we do with the filler neck on our trucks, the hole in the tank is still the same size, as is the vent.

That said, if you either remove the insert on the stock filler neck, or install a TF neck, you can fill with either type of nozzle. You may not be able to fill at the tank-bursting volumes that the truckers do, but with a little patience you can fill the tank in a reasonable amount of time with either nozzle.

As to you question on whether you can put more in the tank with the big nozzle, I believe the answer lies in emulsification. The small nozzles emulsify (make more bubbles) the fuel more due to a lower volume flowing at a higher speed through a smaller orfice. The big nozzles son't stir the pot as much. To get that last gallon (if you must) with the small nozzles, let the tank rest for a minute or two before pumping more fuel in.

tjc
12-03-2002, 15:06
I believe this is one of the discussions:

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=001782

Of those that have done this change and have been filling for months now , what are your opinions??

Thanks,
tjc

[ 12-03-2002: Message edited by: tjc ]</p>

mdrag
12-03-2002, 19:35
Nels,

Using the Transfer Flow Inc. fast fill kit on the TFI 56 gal midship replacement tank - I can fill with the larger nozzles on the highest setting. I have not yet found a nozzle that would flow more fuel than this set-up could handle...it may be out there but I haven't used it yet :D

However, the TFI fast fill kit is DIFFERENT for the OEM tank versus the TFI tank...From the posts I've seen on the TFI fast fill for the OEM tank - it is better than OEM, but not the final answer to this challenge...

TC
12-03-2002, 21:25
I took the restriction out of my stock fill neck more than a year ago. In my opinion you really cannot fill the tank faster than before taking the restriction out. But at least you can fill at the big pumps when you need to. I find that I can almost never fill at anything faster than minimum flow setting. When I try to go faster, it burps fuel out and gets on the truck or my shoes.

This no-cost fix works for me. I am not going to put the factory stuff back or spend the money for the Transfer Flow for a 20 gallon fill up each time.