PDA

View Full Version : torque and hp question for J. Kennedy

DURA-MAX3
12-03-2002, 18:38
what is the maximum torque and hp on a stock allison automatic, with no damage to it. And is this tranny really a six speed as some claim, will this help us with more hp and torque or just more up and down shifting like we have now... Thanks in advance...

Kennedy
12-03-2002, 19:42
I believe that the Allison rating is 650 lb/ft. We've seen it hold pretty well to 750 lb/ft, but much past that and 5th gear will slip. The Allison is smart enough to "punt" when in trouble so it is really hard to hurt it. Adding the ATS stage 1 kit helps 5th gear a bit and bomb proofs the torque converter for further updates. The 5th gear clutch can still be slipped if the wick is turned up though.

The 6 speed thing is a myth for now. Some day, we'll see the trans have 6 gears, but for now only 5. With a good power box, downshifting is pretty much a thing of the past...

DURA-MAX3
12-03-2002, 21:55
Thanks John for your knowledge, it is appreciated.

DMax_Doug
12-04-2002, 12:32
John,
Is the Allison good for 650lbs at the flywheel or at the rear wheels? The reason I ask is if you go with a 4" exhaust and regular Juice, will that amount of torque cause the stock Allison slip in 5th?

Doug

TxDoc
12-04-2002, 13:23
Here are some Allison web pages with some additional info and specs. You can order mechanic's tips and troubleshooting info online.

http://www.allisontransmission.com/product/series/1000series_specificationsheets***p

http://www.allisontransmission.com/product/series/1000series***p

http://www.allisontransmission.com/product/vocations/heavydutypickup_listings***p?PublicationType=Servi ce

Ranger354
12-04-2002, 15:10
Hey TxDoc,

The links you posted are not working for me. Even when I copy and paste. Got any answers?

mcfly
12-04-2002, 16:32
Ranger,
Replace the *** w/ . j s p Include the period but omit the spaces. This will make the links work. Each of the links should end w/ . j s p w/o the spaces

-Rick

f-ing bull sh!t lets try it again

[ 12-04-2002: Message edited by: mcfly ]</p>

TxDoc
12-04-2002, 22:57
Or, just go to http://www.allisontransmission.com and look around. They have a page for "Allison 1000" info.

Maverick
12-04-2002, 23:28
DMax_Doug,

I have regular juice and JK 4" exhaust and have slipped my 5th gear twice. I was pulling my GN flatbed both times and was in level #4 on accident when it happened. My truck put down some MONSTER horsepower stock before the mods anyway so I think with the upgrades I am at 350 rwhp and 745 lb ft at the rear wheel.

DMax_Doug
12-06-2002, 10:27
Thanks Maverick,
You can probably see where I'm going; I'd just like to go with a 4" exhaust, guages, and regular Juice and be done with it. I'm watching what others are doing with multiple boxes, tranny mods, etc, and it's all exciting stuff, but my needs (okay, wants) are minimal - unless the capital commitee (aka wife) loosens up the purse strings next year...

NWDmax
12-06-2002, 14:58
I'm running the EZ AMP box(repackaged juice)and the AfE air filter,no swiss cheese airbox yet.
My egt's have stayed under 1300 deg and I love the way the truck runs.
What kind of benefits as far as horsepower,torque and spool up should I expect by going to a 4 inch exhaust?
Should I ventilate the airbox as well?
I've been looking all over these pages and want some positive confirmation either way.
Torn between JK's or the Banks set up.
Don't want the drone or loud resonance in the cab.
What do you think?
Blake

[ 12-06-2002: Message edited by: NWDmax ]</p>

TxDoc
12-07-2002, 12:03
Check with SoMnDMAX on his exhaust experience. He knows the differences from firsthand experience. I don't think anything Kennedy designs, produces and sells is not top notch.

et
12-07-2002, 14:34
NWDmax,

I live in The Dalles, Oregon. I drive to Portland all year long. In fact, 99% of my fuel is purchased at the Flying J in Troutdale. IF you have ever driven I-84, you probably know how much it rains at Cascade Locks no mater what time of year.

For years, I had swiss cheesed the air boxes in my Gold Wing Motorcycles. I had decided to not do the same to my new 2002 Siverado D/A. However, last winter when I checked my air box in the truck, I found that the bottom was completely full of water except for the few grids that had drain holes. Some of the drain holes were plugged with dirt and these were full of water too. As hot and dry as it is here in The Dalles, alge would start to grow before the water would evaporate.

I drilled large holes in every grid on the bottom of the box on the down hill side, remember the box does not sit level. I have had no water or problems since.

Many of the members of The Diesel Page have chronicled swiss cheesing their airbox. I did not do it until I experienced problems. It did not take me to long to figure out that they knew what they were talking about.

I also installed the Amsoil 2 Stage Airfilter soon after I got the truck.

NWDmax
12-07-2002, 17:49
I ordered the JK exhaust today,merry Christmas to me!
I did some more searching and John's system looks like the ticket.
Thanks for all the input,you have reaffirmed that I have made the right choice.
Dude,I'm gettin a 4 inch exhaust,sweet!!
Blake

NWDmax
12-07-2002, 17:54
ET,I downloaded the pictures on the airbox mod from mdrag or morepower,I forget who.
I'll be doing the mod this weekend now that I feel there is a real need especially since the exhaust is on its way.
Never would of thought about the algae/water retention issue.
Thanks for the reply.
Blake