PDA

View Full Version : Intake Temp Gauge

Chris611
06-25-2005, 08:08
I would like to add an Air Intake Temperature gauge to my 6.5L. I have the Max-E Torq reprogrammed ECM along with the Turbo Master. I would like to add water injection, but first would like to add a gauge so I can see the intake temp. The only gauge specifically for this I can find is through Auto Meter and they want $250+ for it. Can I use a coolant or oil temp gauge? Most of those seem to be mechanical, has anyone found a good electric one? Any help would be great.

Thanks
Chris

JoeyD
06-25-2005, 13:58
What do you want the guage for, constant use or just to see where your at? I have a scanner that reads the intake temps and I have recorded some numbers and after I get my water injection going I will see what good it does. I don't think it's something that needs constant attention though.

Billman
06-25-2005, 16:39
I'm currently running a digital gauge that was originally designed for EGT on my Drag Race Car.

The sampling rate must be pretty quick. As soon as I hit the water, temp drops immediately.

The brand is Computech. I don't remember what I paid for it a couple of years ago.

Chris611
06-27-2005, 17:25
I would like to monitor my intake all the time, so I would like a permanant gauge. Can the thermocouples that are used for liquids (oil and coolant) be used for air? I have found some electric style coolant gagues that have a thermocouple and the proper range.

Thanks
Chris

DA BIG ONE
06-27-2005, 23:14
From what I have heard the under bumper IC is only pulling out about 100 deg F from charge, and high pressure @ WOT water injection should pull out lots more heat.

Follow this link, there is on guage that will do before and after IC, or water injection;
http://www.westach.com./

This link was introduced here before but I forget by who?

G. Gearloose
06-28-2005, 01:52
I suspect the typical coolant gauge sender has too much mass, and won't respond quick enough for your liking, unless the TC is insulated from the base.

BuffaloGuy
06-28-2005, 06:33
I've got an mechanical Oil Temp gauge. The sender is drilled and tapped into the bottom half of the pleneum on the drivers side. It works fine but does react rather slow.

I gave $25 on Ebay for it. I saved $200 from a new electric version so I get paid pretty well for that delay.

I can see temps as high as 275 and climbing. When I flip the water on it pulls it down to 135 in about 2 minutes.

Ken