PDA

View Full Version : what kind of muffler?

phughes69
12-29-2003, 18:07
I'm ready to do a new exhaust on my truck ( c3500 ext cab, 2wd). I figure I'll need it since i'll be towing a 10,000 lb boat next year and my 28 ft car trailer (10,000 lbs also) This is what i want to do so far.
Flowmaster 3" down pipe
Flowmaster 2.5" crossover pipe with ceramic coating on it ( I'll also put the EGT probe in the crossover before having it coated)
Dual 3" tail pipes from a Dodge diesel

The question is what kind of muffler should I use and what size should the rest of the exhaust be I was thinking of going with the "bigger is better" route on this since I'll be doing some heavy duty towing next summer and doing a 4" system. Is this overkill? also what is a good muffler that will stand up to Michigan winters?

S\W Off Road
12-29-2003, 18:25
Skip the muffler all togeather. It will save you time, money and the problems that come with mufflers, The turbo will keep it quite enough and it wont be as loud as you would expect. I'm not even running a cat,just 4" all the way back from the down pipe. I thought it might be loud but it's not and I can hear the turbo at low rpm's

charliepeterson
12-29-2003, 19:27
Originally posted by S\W Off Road:
Skip the muffler all togeather. It will save you time, money and the problems that come with mufflers, The turbo will keep it quite enough and it wont be as loud as you would expect. I'm not even running a cat,just 4" all the way back from the down pipe. I thought it might be loud but it's not and I can hear the turbo at low rpm's I agree with this!

BuffaloGuy
12-30-2003, 07:21
The exhaust changes will help a lot. But a 10,000 lb load is really very little for these trucks. 15,000 lbs and up is when my truck really starts to feel it. Have fun!
Ken

triggerman
12-30-2003, 21:35
Unfortunately the duels just are not practical. The turbo restriction does not merit all the extra plumbing. Summit also sells a flowmaster 3 1/2" universal tail pipe kit that worked for me. I used a H.D. 3 1/2" X 3 1/2" straight muffler 42"long, 8"OD, PN #A491985 $33.49 from value-bilt tractor parts. 1-888-828-3276 The muffler has a single doghnut "washer" in the middle that I drilled a few extra holes in. I'm real happy with the flowmaster pipes and it sounds and runs (new injectors) perfect.

DAYSU
12-31-2003, 19:31
I have a 95 6.5 TD in a Safari Trek Class A MH weighing 16000# and was wondering if the engine is the same as in your trucks? I also tow a Saturn when RVin.
Also, would this exhaust mod. help my rig?

Thanks,
DAYSU

GARY PAGE
01-01-2004, 14:27
No muffler, no cat just straight pipe. It's really not very loud. Try it and if you don't like it you can always install a muffler; but you can't go the other way.

Journeydog
01-01-2004, 18:55
DAYSU...

Basically the engine is the same, but there are some subtle and not so subtle differences. Thus, when you're looking for replacement parts you'll usually want to make reference to a P30 van. One part comes to mind - the cast air intake extension to the intake manifold is a completely different config than the "normal" p/u's. The radiator is different - it requires a special order upper hose. Your alternator is major heavy duty. I can't enumerate all the differences because I really don't know. But, if you were to go out and buy a replacement engine, it will definitely have a different part number. You have an L65 HD engine.

As to removing the cat and exhaust, anything you can do to allow the exhaust unrestricted, free passage to the outside world will reap large rewards in terms of better performance and should provide better engine cooling too. This "rule" also applies to the air intake.

You came to the right place for answers. There's a ton of info here. Good luck fellow Trekkie!