PDA

View Full Version : Allison question for Big Al

Vincent
01-31-2002, 19:19
Big Al,
You seem to be the local Allsion expert...so I would like to get your re-assurance that mine isn't going shell out on me soon.

I posted a post on the DMax board regarding a loud whine (engine whine at 10,000 miles)...but in retrospect I believe its the tranny, not the motor whining.

I took it to the local tech, also drove another D/A combo.

The one I test drove was indeed much quieter and the tech had to agree it was louder than any trannies he'd heard.

He also went on to say that the Allison school he went to said that the hydraulic pumps will make a lot of noise since they put out such a high pressure.

That sounds reasonable except...I know its louder than it used to be, and there's another gentlemen on the DMax board that had his tranny replaced already for the same thing.

Im just a bit paranoid that this thing is going to get worse, or even leave me stranded while towing through the desert somewhere!

Is there any way to talk to someone about this concern?

Or am I supposed to live with a $40,000 truck that whines all the time?

I find it hard to believe that everyone elses trcuk makes this amount of noise and they accept it...it's much noiser than the diesel clatter.

Any thing you can tell me would be very appreciated!

Thanks

------------------
Vincent
2001 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DuraMax/Allison (Pewter)

BigAl
02-01-2002, 09:55
Vincent,

Thanks for the compliment. Hope I live up to the expectation!

I need some more info from ya...........if you're comfortable giving me this over the Forum, then cool. If not, just say so and we'll proceed from there.

What is your VIN? Has the Dealer actually worked on your truck for this "whine"? If so, what is the Dealer's name and City/State? Has it always whined, and/or does it appear the whine has gotten louder as you've accumulated more miles? Is the whine linked to engine speed (i.e. whine tone changes with engine speed both up and down)? Does it exhibit the whine in Neutral, again, both up and down the engine speed. Have you noticed the whine is louder when your spouse is in the truck? (Just kidding! http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif)

A primer, if I may..........."Whine" can come from many sources in the drivetrain. It most certainly can come from the tranny, and oil pump is one source........gears are another (hence the question about Neutral "whine"). It can come from the transfer case, it can come from the differential, and it can also come from tires! Then there's the whole confusion factor that can come from the word "whine" itself. I know what I hear when I refer to the word "whine". I wouldn't bet you a plug nickle it matches yours or anyone else's definition of what THEY "hear". I have experienced situations where someone was hearing a "whine", that when I listened, I would have referred to as a "tick".

Regardless, let me know..........I'll help if I can! http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by BigAl (edited 02-01-2002).]

Vincent
02-01-2002, 23:46
Hey Big Al,
Good to hear from you...sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

Too busy working on paying for the truck I guess.

Anyway, the VIN # is 1GCHK231X1F181880.

The dealer has only replaced my neutral safety back up switch when it failed about 1500 miles ago.

The tranny never whined like this when I bought the truck...only a bit when first taking off in the morning when cold.

Now it does it hot or cold.

The whine happens even in park....increasing in loudness with RPM, particularly noticeable around 1,500 on up.

I have gotten to the point I have to drown it out with the stereo so that I dont hear it...which is a bummer because I used to enjoy the low murmur of the DMax engine...now all I hear is that whine.

Best way to describe the sound is, have you ever heard a drag car with a non-beveled (I.E., noisy) gear driven cam? Or a blower sticking out of the hood...that high pitched whine.

Looking forward to any help/guidance you can provide.

Thanks

------------------
Vincent

[This message has been edited by Vincent (edited 02-04-2002).]

Vincent
02-03-2002, 00:37
Bumping up to keep this active...Big Al?

------------------
Vincent

BigAl
02-04-2002, 13:15
If I were you I'd get your tranny into the Dealer. Tell them you don't like the noise and want it corrected! They will probably replace the tranny!

Although the Allison DOES have a characteristic "whine", if this has A) not been there from the beginning, B) is getting worse over time, and C) can be heard over your Duramax (as quiet as they are, they aren't as quiet as the 8.1L gasser!), something sounds like it's gone/going wrong.

Let us know how it goes!

Vincent
02-04-2002, 18:21
Al,
There in lies the kicker...I did take the truck to the dealer.

The tech listened to it and said "Yep, thats a bit loder than most I've heard".

But, then he went on to say that the Allison school he attended taught him that Allisons were noisy because of the high pressure of the hydraulic pump.

So I'm faced with:

A.) Do I wait till it shells out in the
middle of the desert while towing?

B.) Do I ignore it? Writing it off as me
being anal retentive, turn up my stereo
and tell myself "Its a truck, its
supposed to be noisy".

C.) Take it into the dealership, tell em "I
dont like that whine and furthermore...
dont trust it, I want it fixed!"?

I bet they will end up telling me to live with it again...anyone want to lay odds?

------------------
Vincent

BigAl
02-05-2002, 08:43
Yeah, I'll take those odds!! http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Do "C"!!!!!!

1. Tell them the noise is unacceptable and you want it fixed.

2. If they try to tell you to live with it, politely INSIST they fix it! He admitted it was louder than others he had heard, so something is "different"!

3. If this doesn't work, politely ask to speak with the Service Manager.

4. If this doesn't work, politely ask to speak with the Owner of the Dealership, and include your Salesman in the conversation.

5. If this still doesn't work, politely ask that you be "hooked-up" with the GM Area Service Manager. Tell him about the situation and politely ask that the tranny be fixed!

6. If this doesn't work, contact the GM Service folks (the number is listed in the back of your Owner's manual, I think!).

The only other thing that would be interesting would be for you to tell me when your appointment is set up at Desert Sun Motors in Alamogordo, New Mexico. http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/wink.gif

P.S. What are we bettin', anyway??? We'll have to figure out a way for you to get it to me.............. http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/tongue.gif

P.P.S. I include the word "politely" all along the way because my mommy always told me "Ya catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar!" http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by BigAl (edited 02-05-2002).]

sonofagun
02-05-2002, 11:41
Vincent,

BigAl is right. You have the right to politely insist that your truck me repaired. Be VERY sure to get BigAl the appointment date and time. (You may be very surprised... do NOT bet him your first born, if you have one).
I am a very persistant sugar pest when things go wrong. I go wherever it requires me to go and I usually start much higher than the service writer if I have a real problem.

Good Luck,
Bob

------------------
2001 GMC 2500HD D/A, CC/SB,Olympic White, Manik SS brush guard and nerfs, Hella driving lamps, Velvet rides, HD Air Lifts and Compressor,
Snugtop cover, Linex, Yakima rails on cover (mt. bikes), Amsoil 2 stage airfilter. Pioneer XM Radio. ECM upgrades. One piece driveshaft.Mag-Hytec diff. cover,
43 gal across the bed aux.tank (American Tank), Lucerix pwr/heated mirrors, Street Pilot III GPS.
--------
1966 Chevelle convertible 396 4SPD (restored)
--------------
Working on EGT/Boost guage,4" exhaust, Jason's steering wheel audio controls and Homelink transmitter.
Wish list: Whatever MDRAG does!
GOD BLESS AMERICA and those who walk in harms
way to protect us all!!

SON OF A GUN'S VEHICLES (http://www.PictureTrail.com/gallery/view?username=sonofagun)

BigAl
02-06-2002, 12:18
son of a gun,

You goofed up my bet.........I was countin' on that extra kid! http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Vincent,

Seriously though, please let me know when you're goin' in to the Dealer............and please don't post it Saturday or Sunday and tell me you're goin' in on Monday!!! http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

armalite
02-12-2003, 19:24
Did he ever get a new trans? Mine is doing the same whine and the dealer is giving me the same speak: "Its normal." The whine had a sudden onset and I can also feel some slop when I press the accelerator. I am awaiting a call from an Allison technical assistant to see if he or she can offer an explanation.

hoot
02-12-2003, 21:08
Mine has a whine that gets louder in the colder months but not as loud during the summer. Never progressively got worse.
Love the "big rig" tranny sound.

armalite
02-13-2003, 12:49
Took it to another dealership. The Mech. there said the whine was a bit excessive and that they need to go through all their diagnostic hoops with GM support. The Mech. also said that they will most likely get me a new transmission. I have an appointment monday.

armalite
02-18-2003, 12:28
A new transmission is on order.