PDA

View Full Version : Alcoa Wheels, why do we have to wait?

Cowboy_120
07-10-2002, 18:52
I was just on the alcoa website looking at the rigs that they have, and they have a 2001 Chevy Dually witht he hot-shot rims. If they say they are still re-designing them, why have they been put on that truck? Maybe somebody has the answer to this, but I can't figure it out.

mackin
07-10-2002, 19:30
Maybe some fancy photography?????? Or the stuck them on and didn't drive it ....... CAUSE=>
What has happened is in 01 GM changed there offset to accommodate the rear disc brakes...... So the wheel has to be reinvented so to speak...... They ought to borrow ULTRA Wheels mold..........

MAC :D

mowser
07-10-2002, 21:30
mackin;

I'm seriously considering ULTRA 02 Dually wheels like yours; Can you give me your impression of them, mounted with the stock 215/16 tire size. I'm mainly concerned about the stock wheel studs in the rear (are the studs long enough?).
Thanks smile.gif

Cowboy_120
07-11-2002, 08:05
I really like the look of your wheels. How much did you pay for them? Where they easy to fit? Have you had any problems with them? Are they okay for putting on a truck which will be pulling a 40' gooseneck horse trailer? Thanks in advance

mackin
07-11-2002, 16:09
mowser,

Yes, all though I'm running steel on the in side....Two polished I doubt it.... You will have to switch as I did to conical set lug nuts as it is required by manufacture of the wheels.......Easy to get with stainless caps......

Cowboy_120,

Fit is perfect, see above on nuts........
Not one problem........
I don't see a weight handicap with the ULTRA wheels after all the were purchased for a 3500 series truck...... I got them trough a buddy of mine if you want a price E-MAIL me I'll see what I can do.........

MAC smile.gif

How do I like them?????? Take a look at my truck...... Looks sweet..... Picked up the appearance big time..... Complements galore......People ask if they are chrome..... With the MICHELINS the ride is smooth, and with the Rancho's way better than stock.......

[ 07-11-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

NickLeinonen
07-11-2002, 18:23
what about those american racing dually wheels. there is only one style avalable i think. do they fit?. they look real nice i think

Cowboy_120
07-11-2002, 19:16
I dont think i like the look if the american racing wheels, a little too aggressive for a pick-up. maybe on a lowered dually, but in my opinion, why would you lower a dually? I found a dealer for the ultra wheels here, so I am going to call them for a price. I figure I will buy a new set of rims and tires and use them for the summer while I am towing, then i can use my old ones for the winter. I have the Michelin XPS traction right now and I have been very happy with them. I have 70,000 kns on them and I think I could probably go another 25-30,000. They seem to be wearing really well.

westies
07-12-2002, 23:30
I got tired of waiting and ordered a set of simulators the other day. Pacific Duallies have released their set that is made specifically for the 01-02 Chev dually. Initial fit today showed a perfect fit. Tomorrow they will be installed and will be able to give final opinion. I have the bolt on and on the front, which others have had problems with, these seemed to work well. Now with the $$ saved I can go looking for the Banks exhaust. smile.gif smile.gif

Redhawk
07-15-2002, 11:51
I got tired of waiting for Alcoas, and since forged rims are a must for towing, I finally bought the Ultras. I, too, only bought four wheels - the inside dual wheel is the stock steel wheel. The finish on the rear wheels is perfect, but I think they stinted on the polish job on the front wheels. I'm going to have them re-polished at the local wheel shop.

BTW, my tire guy said to remove the tires from all the wheels before rotating the tires, then remount them appropropiately. Sounds like a lot of work just to rotate tires, but I'm thinking about it, though I hate to have anyone handle the Ultras any more than necessary.

[ 07-15-2002: Message edited by: Redhawk ]</p>

mackin
07-15-2002, 14:23
Redhawk,

That is the unfortunate aspect of running four polished and two steel. In addition polished on one side is also a hinder. As I will run all steel in the winter, I have plenty of time to get it done.... I will rotate once a year ..... This is why I also choose high mileage MICHELINS...... I to noticed the polish in the front are not as spectacular as the rears.... But still not bad, but the rear are near chrome.....I should find me one of those polish shops..... Or do my self I guess..... Get some PICS up .......If you didn't get your lugs and caps yet check out=&gt;http://www.jaeeagle.com/index.html

MAC

[ 07-15-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>