PDA

View Full Version : Utah road trip (long post)

sonofagun
07-11-2002, 14:06
Well, we just returned from a 3300 mile trip to NE Utah. The truck ran very well both ways. Stayed in 5th gear most of the time and was able to use cruise control about 75% of the time. The trip to Utah takes me from 700 ft elevation in San Antonio to 8800 ft. A few grades are significant and I saw third gear a couple of times. Was able to drive 65 to 70 miles an hour all day long otherwise. Could have gone faster but am pretty sure the trans would have spent a lot more time in 4th and at close to 70 MPH that means about 3000 rpm. Will probably go to the Juice or some such before next year but gona wait a bit longer for them to continue to fine tune their products.(would also do a Kennedy exhaust and get the SPA hooked up before chipping). Averaged 12.0 MPG round trip (11.1 on the way up and 13 on the way back). Am pleased with those numbers. The wind cost me most of the difference on the way up I am sure.

We were pulling about 9500 lbs and had the bed FULLY LOADED with 700 - 800 lbs more. The factory temp guages didn't move much no matter where we were. I didn't get the SPA EGT and Boost guage in before we left (next trip) but the aux. fan only came on twice (briefly) so I don't think heat was a problem.

We fought 20 - 40 MPH head winds for two of the three days on the way up. I had an AEROWING (aerotravel.com) wind delector on the roof of the truck and I think it made a big difference (a lot less buffeting and slightly better fuel mileage). Very easy to install and remove but I did apply some adhesive clear plastic material on the roof where the wing pads sit to protect the paint. Can't really see them when the wing is gone. Had a lot of wind noise off the wing on the way up. Called the Co. and they sent me an adaptor that screwed to the bottom of the wing and presto ) ZERO wind noise!

Had installed the suburban sun visors and they really made a difference. All afternoon with the sun in your eyes is the pits. (my truck is an 2001 and came with the tonka toy sun visors- JPcustoms helped me out here).

I installed a 43 gallon aux fuel tank (auxtank.com)and was greatly pleased to not have to search for fuel every 250 miles. (my tank doesn't go near as far as this truck can go!!!)

Used the tow/haul mode mostly going down 7 to 8% grades and wouldn't want to do it any other way. It would occasionally engage at high rpm (as much as 3200) but would come down and hold the truck and trailer with very little braking.

Once we got the trailer set up we spent two weeks running around NE Utah on gravel (and worse) roads, lots of mud and boggy places and big wash out spots,never missed a beat. My first serious chance to use 4WD and was very pleased.

Caught a lot of trout (browns, rainbow, cutbows) that averaged 18" to 24". Had one day where I caught 50 fish! The Green River is truly one of the best trout rivers in the country. Temps were in the 80s and had a fire each night since it was generally 60 degrees by 8 PM.

The truck could use the 6 gear that is in the trans. It would be great between the current 4th and 5th. I wouldn't swap it if they did that in the new ones but it would be a good thing to do. Ran the tires at 75 in the back and 70 in the front. Detected on excess heat in the tires so feel that was enough for the load.

Used a StreetPilot III on the trip and would NOT go again without one. Traveled a lot of unmarked paved and unpaved roads and almost all of the were in the database. It would be almost impossible to get turned around with one of these gadgets. It even tells you if you've made a wrong turn and recalculated the route from where ever you are. Found all the campgrounds on the way up without looking at a map. Just need the address. I hate dodging through a busy city looking for a turnoff that is always on the other side in 50 feet!

Kept the back seat clear so wife could get back there and lay down (bad back) and she really appreciated that. I have Jason (jpcustoms.com) working on a Escalade headseat hookup so I can list to the XM privately while she's resting. She really appreciated it and it made our days on the road much less stressful. The XM was a delight. Good tunes, news, no static no disruptions. Wouldn't go without one of those either.

Carried two mountain bikes on the bed cover. It worked out fine but was a load to lift for refueling. Had to use a brace to hold the lid open because the gas struts wouldn't always do the job. Didn't seem to stress the bed cover at all though.

Used 8 ounces of oil total. Had installed the Allsion deep pan and transyd. Didn't see any change in trans oil level or color. All shifts were smooth and uneventful.

Had John Kennedy's headlight kit in and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Elk and Moose are REALLY BIG and you could see them (a lot on the roads at night) WELL in advance of closing in on them. Wouldn't go anyhere where night light is important without this great upgrade!

Had the new bilstein shocks in the front (back STILL on back order) and am convinced that they make a big difference. The stock front units were sticky, jerky and poorly dampened when I took them off after a little over 10,000.

Would say that this truck is 99% of what I wnat and that is a lot closer to perfect than I have ever gotten before.

JimWilson
07-11-2002, 14:21
Sounds like you had a blast! Ain't it great when the only excitement is the stuff you actually planned... smile.gif

SoCalDieselNewbie
07-11-2002, 14:56
Son of a Gun,

Glad to hear that you had a great time over at Flaming Gorge.

Don't know if your wife fishes but I fish the Green often and almost always have an empty seat in the drift boat.

Btw, the Green in Wyoming is absolutely fabulous and 20x less people. Good for some big fish and a break from the crowds.

Tight Lines!

sonofagun
07-12-2002, 09:53
Jim,

It is nice to have NOTHING go wrong. We had a blast.

SoCalDieselNewbie,

Wife fishes if I ask her to, she would rather do other things. We bought property in Dry Fork Canyon and plan to build a log home there in about 5 years.

I have been fishing the Green since the early 80s. It is one of the country's primo spots in my opinion.

We get to the Gorge once year for now. Our next trip is June 2 thru June 17 next year. If you are then mabye we could wet a line together.

Regards,
Bob