PDA

View Full Version : First Post & Sad Tale

andy911
07-11-2002, 14:50
Hi Folks. First I must congratulate you all on a great forum and thank you for helping to educate a Diesel Newbie. I started visiting this site a few months ago in order to help my decision in choosing a Diesel Truck to tow my daughter's horses or a car trailer. You all made the choice very easy and I looked forward to getting a HD2500 or 3500 D/A CC SB.

My Nephew has a company that looks after hazardous material spills (anything from diesel fuel to nasty chemicals). He hauls his equipment in car trailers and has a number of GM & F**D diesel trucks. I was all set to buy one that was coming off company lease in September. A 2001 Chevy 3500LT D/A CC SB with about 125k miles on it. It was well looked after and even had extended bumper-to-bumper warranty. Perfect. Price was right too. Then disaster.....

Two weeks ago one of his guys was attending a spill in NW Ontario. The (my?) truck was uncoupled from the trailer and parked on the road a distance behind, 4-Ways and roof beacons on, when an 18-Wheeler misjudged his braking (I'm being kind) and ploughed into the back of my potential purchase!! :eek: Although the front and Cab area looked fine, the impact was enough that the bed & rear axle were badly bent and (according to the insurance adjusters) the driveshaft had pushed forward into the Allison and also cracked the rear of the Duramax block.
Can you say Write-off :mad:

So I'm downhearted and my plans to be driving one of these great trucks is delayed, but I'm going to keep on looking.

Sorry for the long post but thanks for listening.

Andy.

NutNbutGMC
07-11-2002, 15:20
^...There's plenty of 'em available.

[ 07-11-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

Colorado Kid
07-11-2002, 17:10
I don't think it was a 3500 Crew Cab SHORT bed before the accident (as none have been built in that configuration), but it might be now! It's a shortbed for sure, just don't know if it's a 3500.

Sorry to be having fun at your expense, but like the man said, "There's plenty of 'em available."

NutNbutGMC
07-11-2002, 19:10
^...Does it really matter, at this point??? LMAO.... :D

andy911
07-12-2002, 07:16
Hi Guys,

You are correct about the bed size it was an 8' LB, in my grief I was confused :confused: .

Not sure about the type of lights that were on, but the light bar on the roof had both orange beacons and strobes. I believe there were other emergency vehicles there too. Either way, the guy that hit the truck was either dozing or going way too quickly. Luckily, nobody was hurt.

I'm hoping there may be some other end-of-lease deals out there on 2001 (on-road in 2000) D/Max's
as the prices tend to be more attractive and mileage isn't a big concern, although condition is. I see lots on the road but very few pre-owned for sale here, either on the lots or in the Truck Trader. I guess the owners know a good thing when they have one. smile.gif

Andy.