PDA

View Full Version : Warrenty

Inspector
12-07-2002, 19:29
I have heard from a good source that GM will not honor the warrenty for the first 7500 miles on the imported Canadian trucks.
Have any of you heard this?
Denny

dcpdave
12-09-2002, 22:23
inspector,
that info is correct, i'll explain.
a canadian truck sold on or after sept. 1, 2002, u.s. dealers are not authorized to perform warranty work until the vehicle has been in service for 6 months, or 7,500 miles. the exceptions are if a tourist from canada is visiting, or if the owner has moved to the states. in those cases, dealers are to contact their service rep., and explain the reason to perform a warranty repair. the customer must show proof of residency in canada, or proof that they have moved to the states. g.m. has basically followed the lead of dodge, dodge requires 12 months, or 12,000 miles. the reason for this policy is that because g.m sells trucks to canadian dealers for quite a bit less than u.s. dealers, and also because of the exchange rates, u.s dealers can't compete. g.m. prohibits u.s. dealers from buying "new" canadian trucks.so,they get titled in canada,put 500 miles on them, and sell them as "used" trucks to brokers, or used car lots. not fair to u.s. dealers.
also, if a canadian truck is registered in the u.s., and the speedometer has been converted, it must have been done by an authorized conversion company thru a g.m. dealer, or there is no warranty on that vehicle, period.
personally, i wish that g.m. would put the same time and mileage limits that dodge did, i don't think g.m. went far enough. if you own a business, i think you would understand "fair competition".
anyway, like it or not, that's the policy.
hope this helps,