PDA

View Full Version : FilterMag

TxDoc
12-08-2002, 00:56
I had intened to post this in this area, and accidentally posted it under the members area.

Considering that stock oil drain plugs and high-dollar differential covers come with magnets to catch particles, it would seem that this may be a good product.

Some more info from the website: http://www.filtermag.com pics and info are on their site.

Patented FilterMag

hdmax(mike)
12-08-2002, 10:14
I don`t know to many people that would lay down $150+ for a mag.

You could buy a strong mag and use a wire tie to hold it on. It wouldn`t wrap around the filter, but it would save about $150

MaxACL
12-08-2002, 11:47
Good article an good point about the $150. (The one I saw was $79.) But at $80 I can't afford something like that when I can make a similar device.

Greg, if you're in... would the "Dual By-pass" filter stop these small (2 micron) pieces?

Mike :rolleyes:

TxDoc
12-08-2002, 14:43
I asked a friend with NASCAR wrench experience and he replied:
" We used to put magnets in a lot of places in our engines, In the lifter
valley, under the valve covers and naturally the oil pan. The idea was that any
part that broke would be "Caught " by the magnet before it got into a place
that it could cause trouble. It would work on any magnetic particles but not on
Aluminum or brass.

Virtually all of my equipment made by Deere has magnets on all of the drain
plugs in the oil sumps for the engine and hydraulic systems. They always have a
small "dusting" of metal on them when I service them so they are doing their
job.
Likewise, My polaris ATV's have Magnets on the fill and drain plugs on every
position where oil is used, Oil Tank, Gear case's and the front Hubs.
I think they are a good idea, You can get an Idea of how much wear you have
going on in a componant by the amount of metal that the magnet attracts in a
given amount of time.

Example, After a recent "Submarining" expedition I decided I needed to check
the oil in the Rear diff on my 500. (I had noticed a sepage on the axle shaft)
upon removing the oil plug I found the rear housing full of water and the oil
milky white. I looked at the magnet on the plug and it was covered with a fine
metal coating that looked like ground pepper. I immediatly suspected a pitted
bearing. I pulled the rear housing apart and found just that, a pitted bearing
race. I ended up replacing the seal(Which needed replacing anyway)and the
bearing and checked the others before reassembly. In this case the magnet
showed me a potential problem before it became something major, Like a bearing
spinning in the housing ruining the housing or axle shaft."

With the extreme cost of trucks nowadays, $70 is a drop in the bucket. Just look at what insurance and extended warranties run, too.

Idle_Chatter
12-08-2002, 21:14
Well, I have to admit that it's not a bad idea. But I'm really put off by both the "snakeoil" hype and the prices. My two major problems with the hype: 1) the magnet is on the case side of the filter, thus the "outside" and traps those horrible metal fragments before the oil passes through the filter media. (I didn't see any pictures of the second inline filter they mentioned) 2) The cut open filters showing the successful trapping of "chunks", where did the shavings from the bandsaw that cut that filter so nicely go? (my bet is on the Super-Whompadyne magnet!) The price? answers itself, they're sure pretty, but I don't think they're $200 pretty!

SoCalDMAX
12-09-2002, 10:19
I agree with the above. While the basic concept seems solid, the "techno-babble" hype and $150 price tag makes me suspicious.

I can definitely see where the magnet saved TXDoc's ATV rear diff from further damage and alerted him to the problem, but it only works if you check it. He went thru some water and decided to check the diff afterwards. the milky oil was a tipoff that a seal was bad anyways. His own initiative and common sense is what really saved the day.

A magnet will only attract ferrous particles. All of the bearing surfaces, valve guides and pistons are non-ferrous. I have no idea what percentage of the 2-10 micron particles found in an engine are ferrous.

I guess I'd be willing to put a slip-on magnet on the bottom of my oil filter if it was reasonably priced, I'm sure it would pull a great deal of the ferrous stuff out of the oil.

Regards, Steve

jbplock
12-09-2002, 11:58
Sounds like the perfect Christmas gift for the Diesel owner who has everything...

SoCalDMAX
12-09-2002, 16:52
Bill,

Now why do you have to go and bring Mdrag into this? ;)

Regards, Steve

jbplock
12-09-2002, 19:51
Did a search and found some possible low cost alternatives...

http://www.wondermagnet.com/dev/magnets.html
http://www.thebeartrap.com/
http://www.synlube.com/magnets.htm
http://www.klearforce.com/whatis.htm
http://www.rushstar.com/filtertrap.htm

[ 12-09-2002: Message edited by: jbplock ]</p>

mdrag
12-09-2002, 20:42
^^^ :D :D :D

...I'd bet if you ran your fuel line close enough to that magnet - you could pick up about 10 MPG/30 RWHP at least... ;)

BigLakeDMAX
12-09-2002, 21:59
You think it would be close enough and strong enough to reach my right knee while I'm driving? I have a little arthritis... :D

letsgo
12-10-2002, 10:00
If those magnets were placed directly in the oil I would be a believer, they would work and be as effective as the Allison filter magnet.

But if you put 2 magnets (north and south poles) on the outside of a metal oil filter you just created a magnetic shield (as in a watch) the magnetic field does not penatrate into the oil canister, metal will stick to the inside canister only if it accidentally touches the inside of the canisters outer case, the magnets cannot pull or attract the metal as they would in free air or in a liquid

[ 12-10-2002: Message edited by: letsgo ]</p>

jbplock
01-08-2003, 14:09
Check this oil magnet out...

http://www.emergingent.com/magnefine/force_field.htm

It puts the magnet in the oil similar to the Allison magnet but it's packaged in a sandwich adapter that goes between the full flow filter and the engine. I called about Duramax availability but they don't have one yet. I was told they should have one soon.

letsgo
01-08-2003, 16:35
Make sure the unit isnt a cheap casting (brakage), cause you know how hard it is to get our oil filter off, otherwise the principal looks good.

let us know if it works.

good luck

bryantch
01-08-2003, 20:36
i dont know if it works or not but where are you guys getting $150? looking on their website it appears the price for 2002 chevy/gmc trucks is $47.95. fwiw

mdrag
01-08-2003, 21:38
bryantch,

The Dmax erl filter measures approx 3 5/8" diameter (3.625"). FilterMag's on-line catalog lists a SS365/275 lbs of magnetic pull and a HD365/525 lbs of pull, $59 vs $120, for a filter of this size.

From the description of the HD series (race, marine, and diesel), it would appear that the HD365 is the better choice - almost 2X the pull = 2X $$ :eek: .

Plus the improved fuel economy/HP AND less arthritic complaints :D if placed next to your fuel lines or bad knee ;)

letsgo,

I've placed strong magnets on a sheet of metal, and the magnetic force is transmitted through the metal sheet and ferrous objects ARE attracked to the magnet. If a ring of magnets completely encircled the filter case, then what you described would likely be the situation. The FilterMag goes about 1/2 way around the filter.

Tastes Great!!! Less Filling!!!

ON EDIT: The pics on the website show what the front and back of the FilterMag look like - you are actually looking at TWO complete FilterMags in each of the pics. The product consists of 1 piece. I called them a few months ago to find this out.

mdrag

[ 01-08-2003: Message edited by: mdrag ]</p>

NWDmax
01-11-2003, 03:51
Too funny MDRAG place it in your shirt pocket and it cleans up your blood too! :D

a bear
01-11-2003, 07:09
Bill,
I wonder if a few magnets would fit in that Oil Guard Bypass filter. Directly in low velocity oil flow. Hmmmm :eek:

jbplock
01-11-2003, 08:58
Tommy,

I was thinking the same thing! I almost ordered some magnets before receiving the filter (it's on the way) but decided to wait to see how much room there is (if any) to fit some in. If they will fit, seems like it would do some good.

The following site offers a wide selection of
Neodymium magnets at reasonable prices.
http://www.wondermagnet.com/dev/magnets.html

MaxACL
01-27-2003, 18:14
When I was younger, I'd placed a strong magnet on the side of my head and instantly had pure thoughts. The doc said I had a rare form of arthritis.. But the extra mileage was worth it.

:D