PDA

View Full Version : Nitto vs. BFG 295's...which one?

DMAXDiva
12-08-2002, 10:07
Okay guys, it's gettin' close to time to replace the 285's already. Geez, and only 17k miles on the set...that Hot Juice is deadly! :D

In all honesty, the off-brand I bought (American Prospector LT) was on "fire sale" at $99/tire, and I just couldn't resist. Needless to say, the soft compound used in these things has equated to pitifully short tread life (yep, I definitely got what I paid for! :rolleyes: ).

I looked at 295 Nitto Terra Grapplers and BFG's yesterday at Discount tire. The Nittos were $160 ea, and the BFG's were $190. Is anyone out there running the 295 Nittos? Any input?

Thanks!

[ 12-08-2002: Message edited by: DMAXDiva ]</p>

hdmax(mike)
12-08-2002, 10:21
The 295 Nitto Terra Grapplers good good, But until I hear feed back on them. I`ll be staying with the tried and true brands like BF Goodrich.

I do like the tread design the Nitto`s have.
I have had atleast 7-8 sets of BF Goodrich tires. And alway get atleast 45,000 out of the Muds, and 85,000 from the all-terains. I don`t know anyone that has had the Nitto`s

JimWilson
12-08-2002, 12:34
I've had 285's Nittos on my HD for about 7-8K now and I can say, with all honesty, that they're truly wonderful tires. They ride and handle far better then you might imagine, work great in both the rain and snow, and are virtually silent. With the Ranchos and the Nittos I have a truck that rides and handles surprisingly well. I recommend them highly.

FYI; the 285's fill the wheel wells pretty good, width-wise anyway. You might need to make some "adjustments" to the plastic front liners in the wheel wells if you go with 295's. But if you do opt of install 295's let me know how it goes -- I might try that when it's time to upgrade these... :D tongue.gif

DMAXDiva
12-08-2002, 12:42
Hi Jim:

Thanks for the input. I've already zip-tied the e-brake cable and fenderwells, and cranked the torsion bars awhile back, so I don't think the extra height will be a problem. I agree about the tread design; I like it much better than the BFG's, and I'm glad to hear that they are quiet (I was sure wondering about that!).

I'll keep ya posted... ;)

Green
12-11-2002, 19:24
DMaxDiva, I have a set of 285 BFG K/O tires on right know and they may stress may make it to spring, I have right at about 22,000 miles on them and they are going fast, yes I do pull a trailer,20' bumper w/773Bobcat, I thought they may last alittle longer then the last set or two I have tried on other pickups put they are not, I hope I get 15,000 miles on them it will put me at 70,000 miles. I was also looking at a set of Nitto and may try them. Also when my Truck Trends came this month I knew that had to be yours, good looking truck.Keep us posted on which set you get.Nothing beats Michelins that is the best tire I have ever had but they don't make anything bigger then a 265.

[ 12-11-2002: Message edited by: Green ]</p>

LA DMAX
12-11-2002, 21:03
I thought I would chime in here with my .02. I spoke with a tire guy about the same thing Green is talking about, Michelin not making the LTX in anything greater than 265. He said that Michelin owns BFG and they might be taking away sales from the BFG division if the LTX went into bigger sizes. I think he's right about Michelin owning BFG, but, I don't think that having an LTX in a 285 would harm the BFG sales much. Just my thoughts.

LA DMAX

Green
12-11-2002, 21:29
LA DMAX, my local Michelin and BFG dealer said the same thing, they must be brainwashed thing that.I wish Michelin would make a 285 and I be inline for four.

LA DMAX
12-11-2002, 21:39
Green, couldn't agree with ya more.
Later

LA DMAX

DMAXDiva
12-12-2002, 08:10
Hi green:

Thanks for your input; wish I could see the pics in MT Truck Trend, but my ex is obviously refusing to forward my copy :mad: , and the local news stands don't have the latest issue in stock yet.

C'est la vie...

I will keep you guys posted on which new "shoes" the big black gal gets (you know how we girls LOVE new shoes!!! tongue.gif )

[ 12-12-2002: Message edited by: DMAXDiva ]

[ 12-12-2002: Message edited by: DMAXDiva ]</p>

DBeener
12-12-2002, 08:25
DMAXDiva Try looking at Tire Rack and see what they have. I found my tires there and Discount tires matched their price(including shipping). Discount was going to charge me $211 each but came down to Tire Racks price without showing anything at all! Just verbal over phone.. Also on Tire Rack's site you can compare sizes. My LT285's are the same diameter as a 305. The only difference is tire pressure; 285's-65 PSI; 305's-50 PSI Good Luck David

DMAXDiva
12-12-2002, 10:23
Thanks DBeener:

Nice to hear from another Texas member...I have a few friends in Sugar Land (I live up in Kingwood).

I'll look around at Tire Rack and see what they'll do... :D

Ranger354
12-12-2002, 18:16
Hey Jim Wilson,

You got any pictures of your truck with the Nittos on it? Thinking about the 285s but would sure like to see some on a truck before I order them.

Jim Flinn

Dmax son
12-13-2002, 03:15
DBeener The 285 are 11" wide and the 305 are 12.5" wide.
The Nitto tire well more than likely be a better on road tire, but if you do offroading right after it rained or if there is any mud the BFG well do a lot better job. My friend had a set of nitto tires and because the groves are in line and not stagered or offset the well get packed with mud and lose a lot of grip, they really showed when needing to brake and you would go into a slide. Where I have the bfgs on my 84 blazer and they work a lot better offroad, but on road his jeep handles a lot better with these tires. The only reason I can think of why the bfgs are going so fast is that they have a load range d, and they are for lighter trucks, so if your pulling a load they might go faster and also design to do offroad work, so they are softer.
Another tire that I would look at is the Inertco Super Sawmper Trxus mud terrain radial. I have had it myself nor anyone I know has it, but from writeups on it and people I have talked on the web say that it is a quiet tire. Don't know what the tread life would be but it has 10 plys and a load range of E to match what came stock with the truck. From an add at National Tire and Wheel they are $135 for the 285 size and for the Bfg it is $167. So there fairly cheap.

Bryan

DMAXDiva
12-13-2002, 05:46
Hey DMAXson:

That Trxus is a really awesome looking tire (really like the tread design)...I didn't realize they made a load range E! I don't think they make a 295, but heck, for a great-looking and quiet E-rated 285 at that price, I might just have to stick with that size after all...

:D :D :D

Professor
12-13-2002, 10:04
DMaxDiva,

The Nitto 305-70/16 is the same Diameter as your 285s and is E rated also. I looked a set of 325 18's and they looked fantastic! The Nitto has a rim protection area at the bead that looks nice and a great tread pattern if you are not a full time off-roader. I have been told the create very little road noise as well.

JimWilson
12-13-2002, 13:36
Ranger354;

Yup, got plenty of pics, but only on Kodak paper... :(

I'm hoping Santa brings me a digital camera! ;)

Dmax son
12-13-2002, 15:58
DmaxDiva
Do you think you have enough room to fit a 12.50 wide tire?? THe super swamper has a 33x12.50 and 34x12.50 tire. Both e rated and 10 ply. It looks like from your pics you have enough room in the front, but I can't tell from the back. National tire and wheel sells the 33 for 148 and the 34 for 184.

Bryan

Buck
12-16-2002, 00:44
Pro Comp tires are buy 3 get one free ;) the month of December! Not sure on ratings, caught my eye while reading through my 4 wheeler mag.
Happy Holidays smile.gif

www.4wheelparts.com

www.natltire.com

www.desertrat.com

gardnerteam
12-16-2002, 14:56
I also was looking at the Trexus, but opted to let a Ford buddy try them on his. As of last weekend, the wear exceeded 50% with 8,000 miles and they were getting impossible to keep balanced. He returned them to his 4WD supplier in Portland for a credit on BFG. He liked the tire, but wear and balance problems were too prevalent. His supplier said there were a lot of problems in balancing after 50% of the tread gone. My next set will be the Nitto's unless I hear otherwise on this forem. Toyo's are going to give me only 15,000 miles before they are bald.

6.6L&94ImpalaSS
12-20-2002, 04:23
Just installed my new Pro Comp xtreme alloy beadlock wheels #1879 (made by Eagle Alloy's) and 305/70 16 Nitto Grapplers. looks great and the ride is extremely quiet. I did have the torsion bars cranked up to level and make sure the previous 285 did not rub, but with the 305's width, I am rubbing during cornering and in reverse. The truck over time has dropped in the front a lillte so I am going to try cranking the torsion bars up a couple of turns to see if I can get rid of the rubbing.

I will have pics of the new wheels and tires on my web link below by the end of the weekend if anyone is interested.

Mike

Alli-max
12-20-2002, 08:56
hey Diva...

Four Wheel Parts Wholesalers are having a tire sale right now.

I HAD the BFG KO's, and I didnt think they lasted too long. I got about 32 - 35K out of em. OVER RATED in the mud as well. Talk about no ability to self clean!

I bought some ProComp Mud Terrains last week, and I will say that they are agressive, clean out very well, and surprisingly quite on the road. Little 'singing', but nothing agrivating. Also has a good sidewall bite as well. They are actually made by Cooper. Buy 3, get 1 free right now, AND free shipping! You could also goto a 4 wheel parts and have them installed in Houston...

TraceF
12-20-2002, 17:45
I am a new Duramax owner with questions. I have a 2003 HD 2500 4x4 CC SB D/A with 1000 miles on it. I put BFG 285's on it after a little bit of plastic trimming. Towed for the first time yesterday and was very dissapointed. My boat is a 27' offshore fishing boat, needless to say pretty aerodynamic compared to some of the hoe's, tractors, and 5th's you guys are pulling. It scales at almost 10,000# with gas, water, and ice, trailer, etc. My 2002 K2500 4x4 454 would easily outrun the Max with the same load up to any, repeat any- speed. At times I had to keep the pedal to the floor to keep the rig going 60! Spent the day at the dealer. Dealer says tires are confusing the computer and costing power... they produced a GM Tech Bulletin # 01-03-10-010B (10-14-2002) which essentially says not to work on diagnosing power complaints if the oem tire size has been changed. It SPECIFICALLY says dealer and owner should not alter tire size. Any input on tire size related performance issues? Thanks

pitboss
12-20-2002, 22:27
Michelin does make a 285/75-16D in LTX M/S - highway tread good for all but heaviest hauling.

http://michelinman.com/assets/pdfs/doc_ltxms.pdf

I've been running LTX M/S in a 265/75-16E hauling a 10k 5th wheel ~20% of the time. They ride great but actually I'm not blown away by the tread life. 15k miles and they're definitely showing wear ...

Professor
12-20-2002, 23:16
285s show to be available 4th Quarter 2002. I wonder if they actually are?

6.6L&94ImpalaSS
12-21-2002, 03:51
TraceF,

Anytime you add a larger tire to a truck you will notice a loss of power due to having to turn orver a larger diameter piece of rubber. I could tell when I went to my 285's, but the contact area of my new 305's I have felt some loss of power (with out my juice on).

I would recommend getting the Juice Box and you will have more than enough power. :D

Mike

TraceF
12-21-2002, 06:56
Thanks- have you done exhaust too? I have heard necessary and not necessary.

Seems to me that with 6.6 litres turning only 3200 rpm the exhaust gas volume would be way lower than my 7.4 litre gas motor that turns 5000 rpm.

The diesel already has a larger exhaust system.

6.6L&94ImpalaSS
12-21-2002, 08:32
Definitly got a larger exhaust!

Better intake or filter wont hurt either.

I use the AFE Stage II and I really like it.

Mike

mtomac
12-21-2002, 14:12
I now have 285x75x16 BFG All Terrain's (3305# load range D) on the stock rims. I was going to get Nitto Terra Grappler 265x75x16 (3415# load range E) but discout tire gave me the BFG 285's @ the nitto 265's price because I wanted tires that day and they didn't have the Nitto's in stock. They were going to give me BFG 265's (the size I really wanted) but they only had 4 in stock and I wanted 5.

So far I've only towed 13,000# with these tires. I didn't notice much difference with the HOT juice on level 1&2 towing. I'll have to wait till this summer to see if a 16,000+# trailer with the larger tires will make a difference with the juice. Without the juice you might notice a power loss empty and would definately notice it towing.

Performance doesn't seem to be lacking running empty with the Hot Juice on level 3. I'll have to wait till the dragstrip opens to see if the bigger tires hurt my 1/4 mile times any.

[ 12-24-2002: Message edited by: Micheal Tomac ]</p>

TraceF
12-26-2002, 15:35
Michelin LTX M/S 285/75R-16 release date 1/20/2003. Just talked to Michelin tech line. Bad news is the tires are the same casing construction as the T/A KO and "could be" built in the same plant in some cases. In my opinion this amounts to basically different tread design and possible a little different compounding. I don't particularly like the BFG T/A tires but there aren't a lot of choices in this size in a domestically manufactured tire. I am seriously considering a Kumho tire next. I was sold a set of Kumho's for my car, based on recommendation and consumer rain ratings at Tire Rack and I am extremely happy with them. I also like the Yokohama Geolander AT Plus II. Anyone using either?

JimWilson
12-26-2002, 15:49
My wifes Mitsubishi Montero Sport uses the Geolanders. They seem rather generic to me, but virtually anything they make should be a good tire.

[ 12-26-2002: Message edited by: JimWilson ]</p>

DMAXDiva
12-27-2002, 18:16
Thanks for the responses guys...

Decisions, decisions!

:D :D :D