PDA

View Full Version : Raising the Front

Ranger354
12-08-2002, 22:49
Ok guys I now that this subject has been discussed many times, but here goes. I am going to raise the front of "Big Maroon". How many cranks on the torsion bars should I make. I need to have the front end re-aligned anyway since I put a grill guard on it, so I thought I would level her out. Next comes the tires.

DMAXDiva
12-09-2002, 06:33
Hi Ranger:

I wouldn't be as concerned about the number of turns as the measured height achieved on each side. When I initially installed 285's, I remember counting the number of turns (5 on driver's side, 4 on passenger's). But after installing the heavy Ranch Hand, I turned mine without regard for number until there was a full 1.5 inch gain on either side measured at the frame. And yes, I had the front-end aligned immmediately after, but amazingly enough the tech told me it really wasn't all that far off...

I don't think there has been any compromise in suspension/frame integrity using this method, but then I am far from an expert. I can say that I've had no problems whatsoever, and the truck's stance is exactly what I wanted in the first place; no more factory rake! :D

Hope that helps...

[ 12-09-2002: Message edited by: DMAXDiva ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
12-09-2002, 10:03
4 or 5 turns will raise the front end about 1". You can measure height from the frame to the ground to ensure it's level front/rear and left/right. Make sure you bounce the suspension and drive it around the block to ensure it's sitting at equilibrium before putting the breaker bar away.

Regards, Steve

thechevyhdman
12-11-2002, 18:55
You can actually go more turns depending on a few simple front end measurements of your truck. A tech at Meyers snowplow sent me a PDF file on raising the front end. Its not the turns its the height that matters. If you measure from the lower ball joint to the ground, then measure the bolt(center) that attaches to lower control arm to the frame (measure it to the ground. If the difference in height beween the ball joint and the bolts center is greater than 4.56 inches its not good for the front end. If you guys would like me to email you the file I can. Ive been waiting too see if I can go any further or check and see what 4 turns got me, but the weather has not been agreeing with me. Bill

conradv
12-11-2002, 19:15
Bill - could you email it to conrad@imbris.net

I would like to get 255's (I like the skinny tall ones! - Tires I mean) and want to raise a few more inches - Front of my truck I mean)

;)

Thanks!

LA DMAX
12-11-2002, 20:55
Bill,
If you would send me the info as well I would greatly appreciate it. jturina@earthlink.net
Thnaks

LA DMAX

tonyskid
12-11-2002, 21:49
Hi Bill,

If you have the time I would like a copy of that file also.
Thanks
Tony
tonyskidoo@direcpc.com
:D :D :D :D

VA_Dmax
12-12-2002, 05:22
Bill, I know you must be ready to scream now after making that offer to email that file. But do you think you could email it one more time?

Thanks,
Chris
(rodgers_2001@hotmail.com)

By the way, that quote on your signature is GREAT!

[ 12-12-2002: Message edited by: VA_Dmax ]</p>

DMAXDiva
12-12-2002, 08:04
Hi Bill! While you're at it, I'd love to get a copy of that too... :D

Thanks!

dmaxdiva@yahoo.com

JustWondering
12-12-2002, 09:27
Hi Bill,

JustWondering...if it's not too late, could you email me too?

scalp@hotmail.com

Thanx

WOJO 1
12-12-2002, 11:59
Bill, as long as your at your computer could you send it to me as well. I as well as the others would appreciate it.
Thanks
dkrjwojo@aol.com

thechevyhdman
12-12-2002, 16:41
Hey 2 things I have to say 1) TonySki, my email to you wouldnt go through, I have no clue why
2) This file I send shows for a 99 truck first year GMT 800? Anways It IS FOR A 2500HD, I had a 99 2500 New Body style(NON HD) The front end is exactly the same.
P.S. If this file should NOT work please email me, when I first had it it was in PDF for now dont ask me why it is (.exe) Im not very computer literate. :D

madjack
12-12-2002, 17:36
Bill,
It looks as if it has been a few days since you had to send a copy of the pdf file but I would like to see it if possible.
Thanks Jack
krider_j@fortlewis.edu

conradv
12-12-2002, 17:38
Thanks for the info!

Bass_on_tap
12-13-2002, 04:45
I also have the PDF file if you need it and have not received it yet. Dave

DMAXDiva
12-13-2002, 05:51
Hi Bill:

For some reason, I can't open the exe. Do you still have the PDF?

Hey Bass:

In case Bill can't send the PDF, would you mind forwarding your copy?

Thanks guys...I really appreciate it! :cool:

blue_lightning
12-13-2002, 06:10
Anyone else who would like it? Ping me at either:

bass_ale_1@hotmail.com

or

Dave.Kloza@hp.com

...and to all that I have helped, glad to be of service. Dave

blue_lightning
12-13-2002, 08:54
Hi again, according to Meyer, this adjustment is to be done with all the plow equipment installed EXCEPT the plow. Dave

tonyskid
12-13-2002, 11:50
Hey thechevyhdman

No idea why the mail wont go through, I did get the PDF file if that is what you are trying to send me if not try again, it has been working fine for me.
Tony
P.S.
What part of CT do you live in we use to live in Danbury

Ranger354
12-14-2002, 18:27
Bill,

Since I started this thread you think you could send me a copy of that PDF file. Thanks,

Rangerjbf@aol.com

Conradv, I want to see a picture of the 255's. I have been torn between those and 285's. I like the skinny one too. Tires that is.

bearman
12-14-2002, 20:39
Hey Bill
Are you sick of e-mailing that PDF file yet :D :D . If you wouldent mind sending it to me at bearengy@telusplanet.net
Thanks Bill
Cheers
Bear

Ranger354
12-15-2002, 17:39
Thanks Bill, I got it today and the file worked great!

leathal02
12-15-2002, 23:52
If ya dont mind, I wouldn't mind having a copy also

leathal02@cox-internet.com

thanks