PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Brake Lockup ?

hammer
07-13-2002, 11:47
Anybody out there try to see if they could set the brakes on a Elec. brake system when parked or unhooked? Trying to set it up like a semi-trailer thats unhooked except a semi-trailer is air & when there is no air the brakes on the trailer are locked.Trying to duplicate this with the Elec. brakes.I think if you had 12v to the brakes when you were unhooked they would be set.Maybe could come off the converter for juice when parked.Also would have to put a toggle switch in so you could disable it when pulling.The guestion I have is could you keep a constant 12v to the magnets without burning out the components?Any help would be appreciated.If it could be done this would eliminate the tire blocks also.Hammer smile.gif smile.gif

Flyboy
07-13-2002, 12:18
Electric brakes are actuated by the rotation of the wheel. An electromagnet pulls against the side of the drum and through linkage and cam action activates the brakes. Putting power on the magnets while parked will not activate the brakes unless the trailer wheels rolled.

[ 07-13-2002: Message edited by: Flyboy ]</p>

SoMnDMAX
07-13-2002, 12:26
Flyboy is right.... You'll have to keep using the wheel chocks.

Flyboy- noticed in you sig. the old Honda's. I've got an '82 CBX and an '81 CB 900F.... Those old rice burners are fun machines, aren't they!!

IndigoDually
07-13-2002, 13:20
I've got a '81 900F also. Sport kit, braided stainless steel brake lines. Fast enough yet comfortable to ride. Still want to buy a V-Rod.

John

hammer
07-13-2002, 14:42
Thanks alot for the Imfo Guys.It was just a Idea I had.Sure would be nice if they could come up with something like I wanted to try. Hammer smile.gif smile.gif

Maverick
07-13-2002, 18:33
I don't know what kind of trailers you guys got but all my trailers elec. brakes work while parked. Sit in the drive way and activate the manual button and drive off. Nothing but skid marks-no rotation.

If you pulled the "break away" cable and pulled the pin out it would activate your brakes (if the battery was charged) without being plugged in to your truck. (This is the safety brake system on the trailer should your trailer come unhooked going down the road.) It would work until the battery on the break away system went dead.

Flyboy
07-13-2002, 20:20
The "drive off" part is what activates the brakes. The electromagnet on each wheel draw about two to four amps when activated with the brake away switch. It gets full power that way and the battery wouldn't last long as a parking brake.

SoMnDmax: Me and my 81 900 will be at Strugis next month.

[ 07-13-2002: Message edited by: Flyboy ]</p>

csimo
07-13-2002, 20:36
If you pull the breakaway switch the electromagnets will burn up before the battery runs dead.

The electromagnets are not rated for continous duty and would burn up in an hour or so.