PDA

View Full Version : Stuck the D-Max

Mustfish
12-09-2002, 19:44
I stuck my truck pretty good while backing out of a field this evening. My truck was already riding in 4 high when I got stuck. After I got done digging to China I noticed that only my driver side front and rear tires went to China. My passenger sides were still high and dry. The window sticker from my truck says I have a rear locking differential. Should'nt my other rear wheel have been digging also? It was not hard to get it stuck and am glad it was to dark for any fo-ds to see me. A Chevrolet pulled me out. Thanks for the advice on how that rear is supposed to work.

Jim

Me4OSU
12-09-2002, 19:52
Mine will lock up solid if you get the tires spinning enough. Works much better than my Dodge.

mackin
12-09-2002, 20:04
Mustfish

I would assume to much wheel spin as the Eaton will not lock after 20 MPH......
=>http://www.traction.eaton.com/
MAC

[ 12-09-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Paintdude
12-09-2002, 20:06
I know the 1/2 ton trucks have a different kind of locker in them..They are posi till about 20 mph then they go back to single trac..I do not know if the Duramax is like that or not..

If it aint got a posi they owe you one..For sure..

bluenote
12-09-2002, 20:12
A buddy of mine (Chevy dealership service manager) told me the best way to get the locking diff to work with my dmax/ally. He said to put it into 2nd gear when it starts slipping. I assume that this helps keep the wheels from spinning too fast and lets you get the traction. I've done it a couple of times, and walked right out of the slippage.

Flyboy
12-10-2002, 10:04
I had all four of mine spinning a few days ago. Just barely got out. I have heard that 4wheel drive just gets you deeper in the woods before you get stuck!!

Rebel_Horseman
12-10-2002, 13:07
Flyboy has a good point. These trucks aren't meant to be mud killers. They are simply too heavy. My experience is this...at low wheel speeds the locker will lock up tight. When you get to really high speeds the clutch packs can't and won't hold the axles together. I know that everything works better in 4-low. My old '01 Z71 would lock up tight and my 3/4 ton will too as long as I'm not trying to play Ivan Stewart through the woods at 100 mph. Check to make sure your fluids are at the right level & relatively new though.

Just my $0.02

Reb [&gt;&lt;]