PDA

View Full Version : best brake pads to buy

martiuk
12-09-2002, 21:01
Hello,
I am at 32k and I would like to replace my hd's pads with the best ones I can get.
Any recomendations? I rather go for performance over pad life.

Thanks,
Mark

mark45678
12-09-2002, 21:11
performance friction...... there easy on the rotors and stop like no other brake pad I have EVER used! if you do a lot of heavy towing get the "Z stops" its one grade better but they like alot of heat before they start working great.... they seamed to last about 10% longer as a added plus!

thechevyhdman
12-10-2002, 01:12
My first HD truck had 60K on it at trade in. I checked the brakes a few months before we crapcanned it, I bet these trucks can average close to 100K before needing brakes. I swear at 60 thousand miles they werent even half worn. This was with light towing 5 days a week, But still it beats changing em on our other trucks at 15-20K miles. We use Raybestos Commercial grade pads in our Cab&Chassis, We get double the mileage out of em compared to any other brand. But will try the performance friction next.

chipper
12-10-2002, 09:17
In my experience, brake lining wear is directly proportional to the habits of the person driving.Some peoples driving habits "eat them fast".

Steve Joneli
12-10-2002, 09:24
Is there a brand name for "performance friction"? Who makes them?

jbplock
12-10-2002, 10:59
Performance Friction is the brand name. I bought them at Autozone for my 98 K3500 and was very pleased with them.

http://www.performancefriction.com/

Stage 1
12-10-2002, 16:43
Let me start off by saying this is my experience. On my 99' Chevy tried the Performance Friction Z -Pads and did not like them. I removed and installed the GM origional equipment and was much happier! My problems were:
o that they were very inconsistent in their braking capability.

bora
12-10-2002, 16:49
Try Hawk Heavy Duty Pads from Hawk Performance.

www.hawkperformance.com

The problem with PFs on the street is that they take a while to get up to temp, and do not work as well when stone cold.

But on my race car, they work great.

Stage 1
12-10-2002, 17:05
Sorry about that somehow posted before I was done, continueing:
o You had to warm them up before they would work well;
o A little to some of the time they would work great ( a little better them OEM) but most of the time I had to really get on the brakes to stop with less capability then OEM.
o I removed the z pads after about 4000 miles and replaced them GM origional pads, was extremely happy with breaking capability again!
o Friend w/mechanical shop that repairs very high performance black suburbans uses the Z pads successfully and customers like them. For every day driving I did not like them. Another note for the Z pads is that you need to check brake fluid temp. rating to make sure it is compatable w/ high temperatures they can generate ( e.g. towing heavy load in the mountain). Also Z pads can be hard on rotors ( in the above extreme example the Z pads and rotors last less then 10K miles).
o One last comment, believe that rotor machine surface is also very critical for good brake performance. I do not have my rotors turned unless needed, and am very careful not to overheat my brakes unless in an emergency situation.

Again just my thoughts and experience for consideration.

Steve Joneli
12-10-2002, 18:02
jbplock, Thanks for clearing that up for me.