PDA

View Full Version : Changing shock absorbers

railbuff
10-09-2003, 19:59
Those that have changed their shock absorbers from the stock issue ones to Bilsteins have reported a 'better ride'. I am not clear what that means.
Although my 2003 D/A crew cab, short box rides smother than its predecessor, a 2000 Chev 1500, my Wife and I would prefer an even softer ride. Will the Bilsteins provide that feature. We are retired and are not after performance, we are after comfort.

jbplock
10-10-2003, 02:55
Railbuff,
I wouldn't characterize the ride you get with Bilstiens as "softer" than with the OEM shocks. I changed out my OEM shocks for Bilstiens at 5k miles because I had experienced a big improvement with them on my 98 K3500 (including towing). The main difference I notice with the Bilstiens is increased stability. If I hit a dip in the highway going 65-70 mph, the truck doesn't keep bouncing after the dip like it did with the OE shocks. Handling is also better in turns and on uneven pavement. IMHO, the Bilstiens provide better overall control and stability than you get with OE shocks and they do it with out making the ride "hard". smile.gif

Idle_Chatter
10-10-2003, 04:36
jpblock nailed it perfectly. The Bilsteins will give you greatly improved dampening but will not add to the harshness of "bump stiffness." The OEMs are basically junk shocks and need to go. The roll stability, bump recovery and overall truck stability (especially when loaded or towing) is exceptional with the Bilsteins. One modification that's easy to make and you'll never regret.

Tractorhauler
10-10-2003, 09:46
Bill,

Are the Bilstein's good for doing heavy towing?

Regards,

Mark

chuntag95
10-10-2003, 12:29
Ditto on the Bilsteins. I replaced my factory shocks at 15K and only one of the 4 was still working correctly. :( Even my wife noticed the improved ride. I added a rear sway bar and that has helped reduce body roll and set much faster going into corners.

jbplock
10-11-2003, 02:34
Originally posted by Tractor hauler:
Bill, Are the Bilstein's good for doing heavy towing?
Regards,
Mark Mark,

Not sure I can comment on "Heavy" Towing although I did notice improved handling with the Bilstiens on my 98 K3500 when towing my 5th wheel (7.5K lbs). Since then I sold the trailer and havn't towed with the 03 yet. How much are you towing? I'm sure others who are towing heavy loads with Bilsteins can chime in here.
Chris, How heavy is your trailer? smile.gif

JimWilson
10-11-2003, 10:29
Generally speaking, the words "Bilstein" and "soft" aren't used in the same sentence. They will definitely help, and are a darn sight better then the factory crap, but they aren't soft.

Perhaps something like Velvet Ride shackles would be to your liking. They can even out the ride, loaded or unloaded.

Even if you go that route I would still suggest you get new shocks. Rancho makes a 9000x that's full adjustable for firmness. With the optional in-cab controls you can tailor the ride as you drive. I have used Rancho 9000's for about 10 years now, on 3 different trucks. I think they're an excellent shock, and will buy them again without hesitation.