PDA

View Full Version : NOISY CROSSMEMBER

MIKE MOG
04-11-2005, 16:51
IVE SEE SOME POSTS ON NOISY CROSSMEMBERS THAT DEALERS ARE FIXING. WHATS UP WITH THIS? DID ANYONE HAVE ONE OF THESE THINGS MAKING NOISE? IF SO WHAT IS THE FIX?
MIKE

DmaxMaverick
04-12-2005, 08:07
Never heard of a "noisy cross member", other than one getting loose and rubbing, but it hasn't been discussed here to my knowledge. I think you are referring to "launch shudder" (search for it), and it's caused by the carrier bearing on certain models with a 2 piece propeller shaft. The fix is to replace the shaft with a behemoth 1 piece shaft.

This issue does not apply to your truck configuration, meaning you shouldn't be experiencing it although you have a 2 piece. Dig it up, there's plenty of posts on it.

MIKE MOG
04-12-2005, 14:31
HI DMAXMAVERIC, HOW WOULD I GO ABOUT LOOKING UP THOSE POSTS ON THE 1 PEICE DRIVE SHAFT? I DID CHECK WITH THE PARTS DEPT AND THEY TOLD ME THAT THEY DON'T MAKE A 1 PEICE FOR THE 2003 4DR, 8 FOOT BED D/A. I WAS READING SOME OF THE POSTS AND CAME ACCROSS A COUPLE THAT THERE DEALER FIXED A NOISY CROSS MEMBER. I WAS JUST WONDERING WHY.
I HAVE BEEN CHASING A VIBERATION IN THIS TRUCK AND WAS JUST WONDERING WHAT THEY FOUND.
THANKS, MIKE

DmaxMaverick
04-12-2005, 15:56
They don't make a single shaft for your truck because the bulletin does not include yours. It is for EC/4x4/LB, CC/4x4/SB, IIRC. The launch shudder is not a vibration. It is a chatter that occurs at acceleration from a stop, and at low speed acceleration. Your truck should not experience this in the same manner. If it shudders, the carrier bearing and/or the bearing isolator needs replacement.

Have a look at your rear springs. If the spring insulators are missing, it could be a source. The spring insulators are rubber discs attached on the top of the lowest leaf near the end. When missing, they will cause the lower spring to slap the upper spring pack, and if you are loaded just right, the springs can be close enough to make a vibration noise.

Describe your noise as best you can. Maybe someone can identify it.

MIKE MOG
04-12-2005, 15:59
THANK YOU SIR, I KNOW THEY ARE MISSING BUT I DO HAVE A SET WAITING TO GO ON.
THANKS AGAIN,
MIKE

MIKE MOG
04-12-2005, 16:06
THANKS DMAXMAVERICK. THE NOISE I HAVE IS WHEN LOADED I GET THIS NOISE/VIBERATION THAT SEEMS TO BE FELT THROUGHOUT THE TRUCK. AS THE REAR OF THE VEH HITS DIPS IN THE ROAD OR JOUNCES THE NOISE CHANGES PITCH. KINA SOUNDS LIKE A BEARING NOISE OR A BAD REAR TRANS MOUNT BUT ALL LOOKS AND FEELS GOOD. ALMOST SOUNDS LIKE ITS COMING FROM THE ALLI. WHEN EMPTY THE NOISE IS GONE.
THANK YOU AGAIN!
MIKE