PDA

View Full Version :

TurboDiverArt
12-30-2003, 06:19
Hi All,

New to diesels. I see mention of the

AndyL
12-30-2003, 06:27
Yep, that is slang for the CAT. There are no sensors downstream and the computer doesn't notice it is gone. I installed a "test pipe" on mine to see what it was like, then I reinstalled the CAT to be emissions legal :D

TurboDiverArt
12-30-2003, 07:12
Originally posted by AndyL:
Yep, that is slang for the CAT. There are no sensors downstream and the computer doesn't notice it is gone. I installed a "test pipe" on mine to see what it was like, then I reinstalled the CAT to be emissions legal :D What differences did you notice when off? I assume a little louder but was there a noticeable performance gain or MPG gain?

Thanks,
Art.

Randee of the Redwoods
12-30-2003, 08:09
Well, in my case with the soot trap being clogged, taking it off finally allowed me to rev over 2000rpm going up hill. If it's functioning properly and not stuffed up, then it's most likely fine just leaving it on. Mine was so clogged, looking straight through it you could see a little pinhole of light on the other side(I cut mine off the pipe, don't do that). If you really want to remove all restrictions in flow, I've heard you can ram a rod down the pipe to bust out the trap screens for the straight through flow. I don't know what that will do for noise.

HowieE
12-30-2003, 10:06
As far as noise is concerned a diesel exhausting through a turbo can run without any muffler and you will not notice much of an increase in noise. I ran my 87 straight for a while. The turbo cancles out 85% or more of the noise.

A Cat has little or no effect on a diesel other than to be installed as a replacable part for future income to the manufacture. Yes Jersey does not emission check diesels but they do look under the truck for what they expect to see. Drop the cat, punch out the center and leave it there for show and tell.

TurboDiverArt
12-30-2003, 10:09
Originally posted by HowieE:
As far as noise is concerned a diesel exhausting through a turbo can run without any muffler and you will not notice much of an increase in noise. I ran my 87 straight for a while. The turbo cancles out 85% or more of the noise.

A Cat has little or no effect on a diesel other than to be installed as a replacable part for future income to the manufacture. Yes Jersey does not emission check diesels but they do look under the truck for what they expect to see. Drop the cat, punch out the center and leave it there for show and tell. Good advice, thanks! Just noticed you are in Princeton.

I'll have to work on seeing what it takes to get the damn thing off.

Art.

sturgeon-phish
12-30-2003, 14:33
There have been several posts on removal / rodding / replacing the cat. Do a search and you'll find lots of options. When I gutted my cat my truck had only 60K so I doubt if it was clogged, but I did notice an improvment in fuel mileage and running temps. I also heard the turbo whine for the first time.

CaseyR
12-30-2003, 21:07
Someone may need to change their slang as I would guess in the near future that term will be more likely to be applied to the diesel particulate filters that are, or are going to be, required on diesel engines. Reportedly, the ones that are being required by the Calif. air resources board for retrofit on long hall trucks are rather pricey. Hopefully, they will get cheaper before I have to put one on mine.

VW is coming out with a soot/particulate filter on, I think, the 2005 TDIs:

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2031112.002/volkswagen/1.html

KingNuzz
12-31-2003, 03:59
How long does the cat/soot trap typically last before plugging? What's the range of experience been using good fuel in mixed town / highway driving? My '93 doesn't have one; just curious in case we need to install for future emissions testing.