PDA

View Full Version : Rear Axle Weight Rating

BigO
07-15-2002, 10:56
This pertains to a 2500 HD, D/Max, Ext Cab, 2 Wheel Drive.

All right folks, looking to buy a 5er and want to know what I can hook up to. I am concerned with the GAWR which is 6,084 LBS for the rear. What is the axle weight in standard conditions?(Empty Bed, fuel etc)? By knowing this, I can calculate pin weight etc. Don't want to over do it. Would not be happy camper down the road with a messed up truck!

Thanks

smile.gif

DMAX/KTM
07-15-2002, 20:42
Big O,

The rear axle is limited by the tires (3042Lbs per tire, load range E times two tires is 6084 Lbs). Duramax equipped trucks have AAM 1150 rear axle which is rated to 10,900 Lbs. If you put higher rated tires on (and wheels) along with some suspension upgrades, axle can take a lot more than 6084 Lbs. Of course you will exceed GVWR so you need to decide if this is OK with you.

My rear axle has 2600 Lbs with tank of gas and me (crew cab short box 4x4) so I would assume yours is less, probably 2200 Lbs or so. Find a scale and weigh it.

[ 07-15-2002: Message edited by: DMAX/KTM ]</p>

BigO
07-16-2002, 19:01
Thanks for the reply. I thought there was some math formula to figure it out.

GBurton
07-16-2002, 19:04
Big O

DMAX/KTM is correct, the STOCK tires are rated at 3042Lbs per tire, and load range E times two tires is 6084 Lbs. That number just happens to equal the load rating that is on your door sticker. I went to a Michelin 265 tire, load range E that is rated a couple hundred pounds higher than the stock tires.

Don't bother guessing what you rear axle weight is, go to a truck scale and weight your truck. I live in a small town and I have been able to use the scale at the local gravel supplier. I have also noticed that at some of the hiway truck weigh stations the scales are left on when the officers go home. If you find something like that is available to you, take your trailer with you and weigh everything. Truck only, trailer only, truck with trailer - truck front and rear axles, don

BigO
07-17-2002, 08:26
GBurton:

Thanks