PDA

View Full Version : Squeeky brakes when cold

FrozenAKJoe
12-12-2002, 16:13
I've noticed that when I start driving in the morning, my rear brakes squeek very loudly until I've been driving for a bit. I'd expect them to squeek if they were wet, but this happens when they're just cold. Is this normal? They seem to work just fine, just annoying when cold. Should I have them checked out?

GMC D-Max
12-12-2002, 16:52
When I had my truck in for service, I complained about brake squeal with only light pedal pressure. When I picked the truck up, the service dept. notes said "couldn't duplicate/confirm complaint". When I left, the brakes squealed all the way out of the lot. Go figure!
It does appear to be more pronounced when cold, I just turn the radio up louder and don't worry about it!

trout49
12-12-2002, 19:07
Mine squeek like crazy until you stop a few times. Once you get the rust off they quiet down. I try not to worry about the small stuff. With all the quirks some of these trucks have it could drive you crazy listening to all the strange sounds.
I just like driving it. I do wish I could get a little better MPG.

DmaxMaverick
12-12-2002, 20:31
Mine does it. I don't remember it not doing it. My driveway is about 1/4 mile, mostly down hill. I have to stop for the gate, then ride the brakes down a hill just before entering the road. In the winter time, they squeak most of the way, but have always stopped before reaching the road. Warmer times, they stop squeaking before I get to the gate, which is less than half way.

As long as the brakes work and the squeaking stops, I don't worry. This truck has the best brakes I've seen an any truck. I can put up with a little squeak.

JimWilson
12-13-2002, 14:19
Mine didn't do it until recently. Now, they squeal the first few times I step on the pedal when they're cold and/or wet.

Tom Ellis
12-13-2002, 15:17
NORMAL

Because of the metalic material in the brake pads, the squeek that you hear is normal. It will not affect the preformance of the breaks at all.
:eek:
Tom