PDA

View Full Version : Tire size Change????

hogbody
01-09-2006, 21:11
What is the issue with GM and tire size.

I hear all kinds of stuff....Costco and other tire dealers won't install larger tires on the trucks because of tranny problems.

GM won't service drivability issues with non-stock tires.

They won't re program speedometers and the DIC for other sizes.

I have the little 245's on my truck and just want to go to the 265 for better look and better safety range due to weight rating.

Will I hurt something by doing this? Will the tranny hold together? Will I have enough power to pull my 10,000 lb trailer? Will GM not honor my engine warranty?

Larry

Heartbeat Hauler
01-12-2006, 07:31
Hogbody,
The only thing you will hurt is your warranty and that, dependson your service manager. There is a TSB instructing dealerships not to service any drivability issues if the customer has non-stock tires. Running the 265's will probably make your speedo more accurate than with the 245s. And, No, you will not hurt tranny or be unable to pull your trailer with the 265's. However, tire manufacturers state that a 7" wide wheel is minimum for safe installation of a 265 tire, the wheels on your truck are 6.5". That is why you get grief from tire installers. Also, some dumbA$$ probably bought bigger tires then went out, trashed his tranny by doing some other dumbA$$ thing then blamed the tranny issue on the tire installer and sued them. Now, policy is no bigger than recommended tire replacement size. That's my opinion anyway.
JP

hogbody
01-12-2006, 08:31
My 3yr warranty is now up....so all I have to worry about is the engine and injector warranty. Don't think tires should effect that.

I've noticed my speedo reads about 3 mph high.

I'll have to think about getting a set of steel wheels....even though my tire dealer has no problem putting the tires on the stock rim.

Lots of $$$ for tires and becoming retired so can't afford to screw up.

Thanks

Black95TD
01-12-2006, 14:16
Hog,

Are you thinking of having the dealer install the tires? Save the receipt - that sure would be a great first line of defense for any future warranty issue. It hard to imagine how tires could be linked to injectors but who knows?

Driveshaft
01-21-2006, 10:26
About 3 mph difference, and yes, you will have plenty of power to still pull anything (within reason) you want to put behind it. I changed to 265's and have had no problems pulling the same things I pulled before. I can not even notice any difference. Truck, engine & tranny wise, is stock.