PDA

View Full Version : Anyone put an aux electric cooler in front of trans/oil cooler?

BrentN
07-29-2005, 11:20
Looking for anyone that may have been succesful at getting an electric fan mounted in front of there oil cooler and the aux tranny cooler. If anyone has found a specific model or size that works, I would love to hear about it.

I would like to add one in front of each cooler, to help put more air across them while moving slow in town, prior to the clutch fan kicking in.

Having them there would also help AC low speed performance too!

Any thoughts would be helpful..I am hoping to find a dime-a-dozen junkyard car that has the right size fan that would make for a good upgrade.

DA BIG ONE
07-29-2005, 16:18
Originally posted by BrentN:
Looking for anyone that may have been succesful at getting an electric fan mounted in front of there oil cooler and the aux tranny cooler. If anyone has found a specific model or size that works, I would love to hear about it.

I would like to add one in front of each cooler, to help put more air across them while moving slow in town, prior to the clutch fan kicking in.

Having them there would also help AC low speed performance too!

Any thoughts would be helpful..I am hoping to find a dime-a-dozen junkyard car that has the right size fan that would make for a good upgrade. Consider, a push fan does not flow as much cfm as a pull fan the same size this is why you mostly see pull fans mounted behind item to be cooled. However, a properly sized push fan will be better than nothing.

You will have to remove your grill for any fan (push/pull) to fit. I used a dremel to cut out the grill then noched the lower section to allow me to use the B&M super cooler. As for looks, I have a WARN classic winch bumper w/brush guard so the missing grill isn't noticed.

As for your AC, there are 2 mods that will help ac cooling at low rpms, "a plate condensor in place of the tube and fin style you have now, then a VOV variable orfice valve (expansion)" this valve allows max cooling at low rpms.

BrentN
08-01-2005, 06:22
DaBigOne,
Thanks for your response.
1. Did you get a "plate condensor" for your truck?-If so, can you point me to your source.
2. Where do you get the Variable valve orifice? When you remove the orifice valve, do you need to completely evacuate the system (draw down a vacuum) before recharging?

I had been looking at some of the 6.5" pusher units. Some of them are 2" thick. I was thinking I could get one in front of the tranny cooler, maybe relieving the back side of the grill as needed. I really dont want to remove my grill. I can get a Warn Brush guard easily ( I work there), but I actually like my multi mount winch on this truck...its easier for my wife to drive. smile.gif

Somewhere on this forum, I had read where some people had mounted coolers behind the radiator. Not that I am going to do that, but I wonder if there is enough room to mount some coolers behind the radior to give a boost to the cooling system. Any thoughts?

DA BIG ONE
08-01-2005, 13:46
Originally posted by BrentN:
DaBigOne,
Thanks for your response.
1. Did you get a "plate condensor" for your truck?-If so, can you point me to your source.
2. Where do you get the Variable valve orifice? When you remove the orifice valve, do you need to completely evacuate the system (draw down a vacuum) before recharging?

I had been looking at some of the 6.5" pusher units. Some of them are 2" thick. I was thinking I could get one in front of the tranny cooler, maybe relieving the back side of the grill as needed. I really dont want to remove my grill. I can get a Warn Brush guard easily ( I work there), but I actually like my multi mount winch on this truck...its easier for my wife to drive. smile.gif

Somewhere on this forum, I had read where some people had mounted coolers behind the radiator. Not that I am going to do that, but I wonder if there is enough room to mount some coolers behind the radior to give a boost to the cooling system. Any thoughts? I did the plate cooler on my wifes Volvo
780, can be found here: http://www.vintageair.com/

VOV NAPA numbers are here too: http://www.aircondition.com/vov/

I would draw down vacuum anytime system is opened, but others get away without doing it sometimes kinda like flipping a coin.

Check out SPAL fans narrow and powerful.