PDA

View Full Version : dash delaminating

heartbeatcanada
07-15-2002, 21:17
Just wondered if anyone else has had a problem with there dash delaminating. I have the charcoal interior and on the pasengers side above the air bag close to the windshield in the little bowl it started to bubble last week, like someone took a lighter to it and let it melt the plastic for awhile. I am the only one in the truck during when this happened, nothing was spilt or rested there to melt, and the windows were down half way the day it happened. It was quite hot that day 100 degrees, but was hotter the previous 2 days. Truck was in my sight all day as it was 30ft from were i was working. Is it a possibility that the sun did this? I have used armour-all to clean it once before. Going to the dealer next week, and can hardly wait for the old, well what did u spill battery acid? Just want to know if gm has had a problem like this before? One more thing just wondering if someone else has there gmc2500hd decal on there doors start to have the letters underneath the clear platic start to chip off or just disinigrate. Both sides of the truck are doing it, but just the g on one side and gc on the other.Didn't figure i would have problems with the cosmetics of the truck. I better take the juice off, or the dealer might just say i was going too fast just blistered the dash and blew the decal apart.LOL.

FightinTXag
07-15-2002, 21:48
The GMC had faded to pink on the driver's side of my truck while sitting on the dealer's lot. It sat on that lot for about 11 months. Built in June '01 and I bought it in May '02.

SoCalDMAX
07-15-2002, 23:03
I haven't heard of any delaminating on these trucks yet. I do have a little info to share.

I was goofing off with my digital IR thermometer and checked a bunch of stuff. It was about 79* based on the truck outside temp gauge and only 10AM or so, but the top of the dash read over 135*. The front steps of my house are brown, and 165-175*. Much hotter than I would have thought. Under some conditions, the windshield might act to concentrate the heat. I always use a windshield sun shade to protect the dash during the day when parked.

As for Armorall, I never use the stuff. It is the worst one out there, IMHO. It has the least amount of protectant in it. STP Son of a Gun is much better, 303 is even better. There was a thread a while back on it, a lot of great products mentioned. Armorall might have had something to do with the melting, maybe not. It doesn't hurt to ask the dealer, I've been surprised at times!

Regards, Steve

txguppy
07-16-2002, 01:13
heartbeatcanada,

I have seen several GM trucks w/ delaminating dashes. Most all of them have been in the same area as yours. There HAS to be a bulletin out on it. When I first saw it i was really surprised that the dash color was actually "painted" on. :confused: :confused: So much for using Armorall. Good luck w/ your fix.

txguppy

pullinpower
07-16-2002, 06:19
Well my tan interior is delaminating near the grab bar on the pass. side. couldnt beleive that the dash was black underneath,going to take it to the stealer before 36k.

Alli-max
07-16-2002, 08:08
If you guys are talking about the hard plastic, then it is paint. My trim piece is chipping a little on the top side.

But I have to hand it to GM, at least they are giving blind people jobs. But in the paint booths?? CRAPPY CRAPPY CRAPPY work GM!!!

Russ Denman
07-16-2002, 11:19
I lived next door to a Chrysler engineer responsible for their dash boards. He recommended never using products such as Armorall. 1) They make the dash shiny which can cause glare. 2) The remove the oils found in the vinyl causing the dash to deteriorate more rapidly. It is like a drug user, once you start you need to keep using the product or the vinyl will crack.

SoCalDMAX points out that it doesn't have to be a scorcher to get the temp up on the dash. I have a set of sun shades that I use. I am thinking of getting a dash mat but hope to get back to Oregon this fall where mold and rust cause more problems than sun.