PDA

View Full Version : Results from Bearing install...Was: Steering Rattle

FormulaPro
07-16-2002, 05:41
Well, after filing with the State Attorney General's office and working with GM's Lawyer, Lannan Chevy did the bearing install. When I picked the truck up yesterday, I sat down with the service manager and the tech who did the install and both said that after the bearing install, the rattle was still there. They then did the lube job again and said it was much better. I test drove with the tech...and it is much better. Completely fixed? no. I can still feel the column rattling but nowhere nearly as bad as it was. They did cover it under warranty. I have a feeling that the rattle will return. :(

Maybe once the warranty is up, I'll install a F@rd steering box and column :eek:

I guess in life you just have to accept that nothing is perfect...except that girl at Dunkin Donuts this morning..man she was mint!

MudNurI
07-16-2002, 05:54
WOW- I'm a bit worried now after reading the 3 people that haven't gotten the rattle taken care of with the bearing kit.

as most of you know- mine has been lubed 5x now, had the intermittent steering shaft replaced- that was the last thing done- 5 weeks ago. Yesterday, I came across the post regarding the tech bulletin page on service.gm.com, and found that they had actually released the bearing kit. Called dealer #2, and spoke with my service guy, told him what page it was on etc..(thank you whoever posted that link!!), My Tech is currently doing some work on a 'vette, and will be tied up with that till Wednesday- so Thursday the truck goes in for the bearing kit. I did mention "you need a special tool" and they are ordering that at the same time.

The 1 thing I will say, every time either dealer has lubed, or replaced something, my rattle get's quieter, for a few 1000 miles. Being that we put about 3000 miles on the truck a month, that's only about 10 days. I am hoping that the bearing kit fixes it, we are going to a charity trail ride in Hazelton, PA (Paragon) August 9th, and these guys all HATE IFS, I'd hate to have a rattle there!...talk about "IFS is better cause it's noisy" LOL.

Good luck with the rattle....I'll post Thursday night what my outcome is.

Brandy

NFLDMAX
07-16-2002, 10:19
I am sorry to read the bearing fix did not work for your truck either. I was hoping it was just a Tallahassee thing.

NutNbutGMC
07-16-2002, 18:41
^...FormulaPro... I'd like to see a picture of that big a$$ barn of yours, please.

MudNurI... I patiently await your post on the results on Thursday evening.... but HURRY UP PLEASE!!

[ 07-16-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

FormulaPro
07-17-2002, 05:53
Nutn,

I'll bust out my digi cam tonight...I just painted the barn "New England Barn Red" this weekend! Came out nice. (was DPW shed Gray).

RealBigTruck
07-17-2002, 15:27
Man, I move all the way to California, and in an instant you bring me back to New England with a word like "mint." I thought I had escaped.

Still crossing the border into Nashua to buy consumer electronics without sales tax? smile.gif

FormulaPro
07-17-2002, 17:05
RBT, consumer electronics, Harley Parts, Home Depot...etc. 5% adds up when you do the big purchases! Never been to Cali...you probably see a thousand "mint" Dunkin Donut girls every week! ;) I'd probably move too!

NutN, here's pics of the barn:

http://www.countrylakeresort.com/images/104-0422_img.jpg

http://www.countrylakeresort.com/images/104-0423_img.jpg

[ 07-17-2002: Message edited by: FormulaPro ]</p>

FormulaPro
07-18-2002, 07:31
Just got off the phone with GM legal corrospondance. Although I don't feel the steering rattle is 100% fixed, my faith in GM has been 100% restored! I think the steering rattle is 95% fixed and I can live with it...GM has made a generous gesture that I cannot discuss details in this forum, but let's just say I am being very well taken care of.

I have had issues with all of the big Three Mfgs Trucks and I can say without reservation, GM Corporate has been the most interested in customer satisfaction. smile.gif

I am a happy camper...GM rocks.

MikeT
07-18-2002, 09:30
FormulaPro,

Are you sure they actually "did" the bearing replacement? :rolleyes:

FormulaPro
07-18-2002, 09:53
I guess no, I can't be sure...I didn't watch and actually see them do it. I did go for a ride with just the tech and he said after they replaced the bearing and test drove, the rattle was still evident.

I guess I just have to trust them. (Dealer)