PDA

View Full Version : Pedal position sensor.

moose1
12-30-2003, 14:02
My 95 6.5td 4x4 ext cab lost power to the point the pedal was to the mat and it still only idled. Shut it off and then it started and ran fine. Took it in to my trusty mechanic he read the code and said it was the pedal position sensor. Said new part was $620. Can. Does anyone have experience with this problem, where is it located, is this a common problem? Thanks and Happy Holidays.

gmenor
12-30-2003, 15:29
moose1,
Never had that problem but I changed out my gas petal to try and solve another problem - didn't work. So in the long run I still got the old petal which is still good (didn't solve the problem) and willing to give it up for postage cost. The problem was the transmission was fried and was throwing codes out left and right. You can slap it in and see if it solves your problem. I'll have to send it Friday because I'm in Virginia and won't get back to North Carolina till tomorrow night. Send your address to me and maybe it will save you $650.00.

moose1
12-30-2003, 15:48
Thanks for the reply, I have been doing some searching of the old posts and found info on the APP (accelerator pedal position) that sounds like my problem. Don't know where it is, but it's a start.

Bobbie Martin
12-30-2003, 16:18
The APP is the throttle pedal assembly. The "Service Throttle Soon" light should come on if there is a problem with the APP.

Kennedy
12-30-2003, 17:10
I have found these to be VERY reliable, so I would suggest an extensive battery of tests prior to replacing it. More likely pump/PMD related...

What have we got for codes?

moose1
12-30-2003, 17:14
my mechanic pulled the codes (don't remember the number) and said that it was the APP. Looking at some of the other posts it sounded the same, only idle even if depressing the peddle all the way.

moose1
12-30-2003, 17:17
my mechanic also said they were very reliable, and that he had never changed one (he is a former chev dealer mechanic that works mostly with diesels, he explained the way the three sensors work on a % difference between each sensor to ensure a proper pedal position.

ChevyDooley
01-01-2004, 00:02
Yeah well mine was bad. Its easy to tell if this is your problem or not. Just try using cruise control if it fixes the problem you know its the pedal. Course you didnt specify if it does it on and off or just once then not again.

If it is eratic and seems to jolt and jerk on the highway and whatnot its the pedal most likely. And the cruise control "trick" will tell you. Answer me this and I'll tell you how I fixed it for free.

moose1
01-02-2004, 11:47
It has only happened twice. Last time was four days ago and it hasn't done it since. Is the whole unit at the top of the pedal (except for the wiring)? Black circular plastic housing with wiring connections clipped into it? Thanks for the post.

moose1
01-02-2004, 11:48
It doesn't jerk around it just looses power to the point of only idling, haven't had a chance to test it with cruise control.

ChevyDooley
01-02-2004, 19:18
The black plastic part with the clip in is the problem area. I drilled holes in mine and sprayed electronic contact cleaner in there and it was fine after that.

I'll tell more if you wanna try..

chickenhunterbob
01-02-2004, 21:18
Mr Chevdooley

I would be interested to hear anything you know about a cheap repair for a APP module.

I recently tried to take off from a green light from a stop and dropped to idle with the service throttle soon light on. Cycled the key to off and start and no problem since.

Checked the codes at home and got 23, 27 and 84, which lead me in the direction of the APP module.

This was the one and only time this has happened to me, and Mr Goodwrench wants 670.00 for a new APP module so I thought I would take apart the connections and spray with contact cleaner, which I did, that was roughly 1000 miles ago and no problem since, but if there is a next time...

1994 K1500 Silverado 6.5 TD 4L80E.

thanks
Bob

ChevyDooley
01-03-2004, 12:22
Yeah I drilled tiny holes in the black circulur portion of the unit. One near but not in the center. (dont drill center!!) And One near the outside of the cirle. I sprayed alot of cleaner inside. Shook it for about 5 min with all that liquid in there... Drained it as best I could and used RTV silicone to seal up the holes. No problems since. Mine was real bad before, I couldn't drive 20 feet without a jerk or sputter of some kind. All fixed now... For now!? Who knows..

moose1
01-04-2004, 16:44
Chickenhunterbob...cool handle. Sounds just like my experience. The problem could cost us a serious accident if trying to cross traffic and it drops to idle. It has happened twice and not for two weeks, what did you spray into the unit? The codes sound like what my mechanic pulled out. Is there a way to test the unit directly to see if after the cleaning it is OK?. I pull a 25 foot 5th wheel an it wouldn't be good to have that happen on the road to Telegraph Creek, B.C. Thanks for the info.

moose1
01-04-2004, 16:45
Sorry Chevyduely, the questions where for you.

ChevyDooley
01-04-2004, 23:24
I used a heavy duty non corrosive Electronic Parts Cleaner. I got it at Autozone or something. It takes paint off its very strong so be careful.