PDA

View Full Version : crack in line from wastegate seliniod

moose1
09-30-2003, 18:45
I was inspecting (tring to figure out what does what)my 95 6.5td and noticed a crack in the line from what I think is a vacuum line from the wastegate to the wastegate seliniod. It's a black tube coming from a small canister that looks like a fuel filter but has a horizontal rod leading to the turbo. It joins with a orange line that leads to a black electical component on the right hand side of the engine. It looks like to replace this I will have to order the whole unit. I would love a desciption of what this stuff does.

1995 Chev 6.5 td ext cab 4x4

charliepeterson
09-30-2003, 19:25
You just found the Waste Gate circut for the Turbo. One line goes from the Vacuume Pump to Waste Gate Electronic Solenoid. The other line comes from the Solenoid to the Waste Gate on the Turbo.
The circut is controlled by the Engine ECM behind the glove box. This is for Turbo Boost.

It's better to replace the plastic lines as a set. The circut should have about 20"-25" of vacuume to the solenoid.

moose1
09-30-2003, 19:36
Thanks Charlie, I take it that the black tube is the one going from the seliniod to the wastegate and the horizontal arm opens and closes as demand increases/decreases. Is this the place that some of the members are reffering to when talking about checking vacuume pressure?

moondoggie
10-01-2003, 03:31
Good Day!

Being the cheapest person around, I replaced my black plastic vacuum lines with soft copper. Seems like it might hold up a bit longer.

The vacuum pump produces > 20" vacuum. The Wastegate Solenoid modulates this vacuum to the Wastegate Actuator. I can't remember what JK said, but idling my 95's should give 70-some % of whatever the vacuum pump is providing - in other words, the Wastegate Actuator should see ≈ 15" vacuum when my trucks are idling. This changes while driving as conditions change.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

[ 02-21-2005, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: moondoggie ]