PDA

View Full Version : Piece of #@&* ZF Clutch!!

DeepVee
10-20-2003, 14:07
I took my truck in last week for transmission noise, bearing noise under load. When they pulled it all out they discovered that my pressure plate was cracked and had high spots. There are wear marks on the inside of the pressure plate and the outside diameter is cracked. As I expected the dealer is now telling me that they can not cover the clutch under warranty. This is B.S., I bought this truck new and it's never been overloaded or abused. The truck is 2 1/2 years old with 31,000 miles, about 3,000 of those miles towing a trailer weighing less than 5,000lb and 600 miles towing a 10,000lb trailer. All towing was done after GM's recommended break-in.

My complaint is that there is an inherent problem with GM's clutch setup on these ZF trucks. My clutch fluid immediately turned black after I bought the truck. Which to me is a clear sign that something is getting too hot.

I've talked to the service manager who says he can do nothing until an area rep. looks at the truck, maybe this week. I also called GM today and filed a complaint stating that the truck was taken in well over a year ago about the black clutch fluid problem and loss of fluid.

I may not get what I want (a new clutch under warranty) but I

Chris N5CWM
10-20-2003, 20:27
See if the guys at South Bend Clutch have one in the works for the DMax/ZF.

http://www.southbendclutch.com/dynamax.html

*edit*
I just read your whole post..see you have the 8.1 not the DMax. They still prob have one in the works.

DeepVee
10-21-2003, 07:56
Update, Yesterday afternoon the service manager from the dealership received approval from his GM Rep. to cover my clutch under warranty. :D

Guess it can't hurt to make a little noise.

I should have a DMAX/ZF truck soon. I plan on trading this truck in on a 2004 order after the first of the year. GM just released new incentives for the 2004 trucks, $2,500 cash back or $500 cb with 2.9%APR. The incentives will probably only get better as time goes by.