PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket air filters

okeehandyman
04-28-2005, 04:38
I have read some surprising info at RV.net pertaining to oiled media filters. Per tests done by Teststand they claim that many filters, while flowing lots of air, also flow lots of dirt. Has anyone using these filters noticed ditr particles in the air tube past the filter media?

Quack_Addict
04-28-2005, 06:47
I did hear some time back that GM refused to warranty some engine proplems as the oil on aftermarket 'high-flow' filters like K&N's can become airborne in the air intake pipe and coat the MAF sensor, causing it to give false readings.

I haven't heard about these filters allowing crud to pass through that a stock filter would catch... although I guess it is possible. If you clean and oil the filter when it gets dirty, should be no problem there.

jackrabbit
04-28-2005, 07:23
Can you post the link to this article?

I'm a bit surprised that this would be the case. I've used oil media filters for a long time and have never had an issue. Many ATV, motorcyles etc. are OEM filters that are oiled. My KAW Concours has one, presently 85000 miles and no rings problems.

jbplock
04-28-2005, 08:13
For more info try a forum search on "MAF" ... Here is one relevant thread.

After Market Oiled Air Filters (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=007753)

--------------------------------

Also, GM TSB is 04-07-30-013, Date: March 05, 2004

"Automatic Transmission Shift, Engine Driveability Concerns or Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On as a Result of the Installation of an Aftermarket Reusable, Excessively Oiled Air Filter
Models:

2004 and Prior Cars and Light Duty Trucks
2003-2004 HUMMER H2

The installation of an aftermarket reusable, oiled air filter may result in:

Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On
Transmission shift concerns, slipping and damaged clutch(es) or band(s)
Engine driveability concerns, poor acceleration from a stop, limited engine RPM range

The oil that is used on these air filter elements may be transferred onto the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor causing contamination of the sensor. As a result, the Grams per Second (GPS) signal from the MAF may be low and any or all of the concerns listed above may occur. When servicing a vehicle with any of these concerns, be sure to check for the presence of an aftermarket reusable, excessively oiled air filter. The MAF, GPS reading should be compared to a like vehicle with a OEM air box and filter under the same driving conditions to verify the concern. Transmission or engine driveability concerns that are the result of the installation of an aftermarket reusable, excessively oiled air filter are not considered to be warrantable repair items."

jackrabbit
04-28-2005, 09:34
Sorry, I meant the article at RV.net on the tests run there.

Tried to search on that site and it came up empty.

Kennedy
04-28-2005, 14:44
I've seen the gauze media allow dirt, but my experience with foam filters contradicts the results. Most ATV and dirt bike mfrs use foam for a good reason. I've had numerous oil analysis done with single digit silicon using the Uni foam unit, and one with 45ppm using gauze...

Albee
04-29-2005, 14:54
I have been told that the dirtier a K&N filter gets the better it works???????????? Go figure that one. I was told this by two different professionals in the auto industry. So that makes me say "HUH"? And I was told the same thing by my local dealer with the oiled filters. They told me that they would not cover a MAF sensor under warranty if the oil soaked type filters were used.