PDA

View Full Version : Service writer +service manager= still clunking!

MudNurI
07-19-2002, 06:47
UUGGHHH

I told you guys I'd let you know Thursday night about my bearing kit install. This is kind of long but here's what happened.

Showed up at dealership at 8am to drop off truck, went to sign the work order and it sayed "clunk in steering"......................that was it. I told the service writer- "where does it say your doing the bearing install" reply was

You don't diagnose problems, we do.....livid, I went outside and asked John- do you want to leave it, or not? John said talk to the tech- went in found him, "are you doing the bearing kit or what?"....tech says- bear with me (no pun intended) I need to confirm the rattle, then we can do it, but I can't order it till then..." I'm now extreamly LIVID...not only will I not have my truck all day- This dealership is out of our way, and now I have to drive John an hour to work, then pick him up, go back pick up my truck, and nothing will be fixed...but you know, you gotta follow the rules- so we leave it at the dealership...jump ahead to 4pm

Call dealership- speak to the service writer- "hang on you need to speak to Dennis"...okay I haven't a clue who Dennis is...but he gets on the phone "hi this is Dennis Service Manager"..uut oohh, I got the big guy....

He goes on to explain to me that he drove probably 40 miles in my truck today, and can't seem to duplicate the rattle- suprised---nope I'm not....these guys can't hear a freight train coming....BUT he says. this morning, he received the July Tech Tips bulletin, and in that is a "bearing kit" that he would like to try on our truck......gee do you guys even TALK TO ONE ANOTHER? I go on to explain to him that back in May I had asked the service writer to do just that...same exact kit and was told not till there is a TSB...he explain some hog wash to me, I said, listen I was very close to driving to Mass, to get it done, when I found out it was a GMC dealership, and I couldn't get warranty work done with them. I have asked repeadetly for this same thing to be done, and now you guys are trying to make it sound like you have found gold. I'm not a tech, don't claim to be, but I know more about my truck than most people in your dealership. By the way- I'm really fuming now!

so I say...have you ordered it? Yes ma'am though I'm not sure how long before it comes in...I can call you as soon as it does and get you in the same day....REALLY....so I say. BUT I only let Chuck work on my truck, are you going to have him stop what he's doing just to fix mine? He says...you don't want anyone else ?? NO, I just said CHUCK is the ONLY person who touches my truck at your dealership. He says well if that's what you want, thats what you get. Were here to serve you and whatever I have to do I will do....GEE where were you when I paid $45.00 for my fuel filter...could have used a discount...LOL....so as we sit right now, were still clunking.........and we leave for PA on August 9th..it had better be fixed by then......I'll let you guys know where this stands when something changes.

okay- I'm done ranting.

Brandy ;)

[ 07-19-2002: Message edited by: MudNurI ]</p>

gardnerteam
07-19-2002, 07:33
I know I'm going to get beat up for the following comments but that's life. Service writers and service managers basically come in two sizes with a little gray area in between. The first group is composed of people who can't read and have no comprehension - they don't understand the word SERVICE proceeds their dubious title. To them, it is just a damn job they know little about, care less about, and merely a way for them to make a buck until something better comes along. Be they ignorant, obnoxious, self important, or just plain stupid, they stand between you and the technician who tries to solve your problem. Believe it or not, both you and the tech hate this person, as they are not an asset to either of you. The only thing you can do is go over his or her head until someone up his or her chain of authority comprehends the damage being done to the dealership and wises him up or cans him. I personally have low tolerance for these people and have caused several to go bye bye. I also politely advised one who told me he could care less about my vehicle that there was a lot of desert out there and I had a backhoe. He now delivers Pizza. At the other end of the spectrum is the service writer and service manager who understands the word SERVICE and will go to the end of the world to solve your problem and also go to the end of the world to get it covered by warranty if at any way possible. These people are priceless and should be cultivated as they make your life with your vehicle much easier. Treat them well, and make sure the dealership managers and owners know how valuable they are to you. After 10 years of wonderful service from my local GMC dealer (one of GMC's owner adviser boardmembers), I finally bought a vehicle from them, paid their price (600 more than elsewhere which is why I hadn't bought there before) and made it a point to tell both the salesman and the owner that the only reason I bought there was because of two of the service writers. Prior to that on several occasions I had called the owner to praise the servicewriter, which ended up in the servicewriter getting a bonus. My service writers go to great lengths to solve any problem I or my D/A friends might have, including allowing me to work directly with the tech and furnish them with Diesel Page printouts about problems. End of long winded story - find a good service manager and service writer, be fair, praise him to his superiors including the owners, and you're service problems will evaporate.

JimWilson
07-19-2002, 08:40
Brandy;

Your story makes me want to vomit for you. :mad: It