PDA

View Full Version : hard starting to no start

gerald
09-30-2003, 19:08
my 94 6.5 started to flash service engine light when under a light load,going up an incline at about 65 to 70 mph about three weeks later I stopped at a 7\11 and it would not start back up.I checked the obvious: fuel in tank, air cleaner and fuel to the fuel filter-I turned the top of the filter until a little fuel came out. I got back in and it started up,but I didn't make it home-towing bill 165.00. After I got home I replaced the fuel filter (I've owned this truck less than six months and only three thousand miles have been put on it) After bleeding the air out it ran for one day about 60 miles and died again, I would try and start it and occasionally it would run now it won't start at all. I haven't had this truck long and already had to have the tranny rebuilt. So I have two questions; what are some of the things that have to be replaced at what miles ? and what should I do next about this no start condition ? also- can I buy a tool to pull trouble codes ? THANKS

charliepeterson
09-30-2003, 19:13
Is the Injection Pump Electronic or Mechanical?
How many miles? If less than 120,000 the Injection Pump is covered by an extended warranty with NO deductable if Electronic.

Fishnfool
10-01-2003, 07:46
Will it crank but not fire? The ignition switch in my 96 was dieing and the symptons were intermittant - would die turning a corner or sitting still - instrument lights would not light up - engine would crank but not fire.

By slamming the steering wheel up & down thru the full range of tilt adjustment, I found the switch could be jarred back to life allowing motor to start.

gerald
10-01-2003, 17:54
how do I tell if it is a mechanical or electronic injector pump? I have 155,000 miles on this truck.

BurbantoBioD
10-02-2003, 06:54
If it doesn't work its electrical. No really a 94 should be electrical

BurbantoBioD
10-02-2003, 06:58
Can you get any codes?Is the SES light on?

gerald
10-02-2003, 19:11
It does have an electrical pump, I found it on the frame just under the drivers side door. I can hear it run, there is pressure to the fuel pump but I'am not sure how much. The SES light has been going on prior to the not start cond. At this time it will not start-I ran the battries down and had to recharge them. How do I pull the trouble codes out ?

gerald
10-03-2003, 21:08
correcton on my last post , it was the fuel pump I found on the frame.