PDA

View Full Version : dslpowr....

duman333
03-13-2002, 04:49
hey thanks for the great advice on the tires and rims. i got the 295s with the 16x8. let me tell you it looks great. i did some major trimming like i saw in your pics but i am having a problem zip tieing the brake cable. if i leave my email could you email me(or even post it here for other guys)an in depth description of what you have done. also did you have to shave your bumpers at all? i read that a guy had 305s on his dmax with no lift. man i would like to see how he fit those in there. oh by the way my email is duman333@hotmail.com. thanks for everything...
duman333

DSLPOWR
03-13-2002, 17:35
Personnally I think there is a visual limit on how big of a tire you can stuff in a fenderwell. 305's not only look too big IMHO, but I am sure they HAVE to rub. I off road my truck quite often and wanted tires that would give me a little more clearance on the ground, but taking clearance away from the fenders with tires that are too big are doing just the opposite. Now the the emergency brake cable: I don;t know, I didn't have to touch mine, It does not even come close, maybe there is a design difference here? I did cut off a small piece of the air dam where it comes close to the tires, but didn't have to shave or hammer the bumper in at all. Did you turn the torsions up at all? Last but not least, get some pics posted!

NickLeinonen
03-13-2002, 17:42
where would the 305's rub? they are 10mm wider, but they are shorter than the 295's. the 295/75/16's are about 33.5" tall, while the 305/70/16's are 33" tall

duman333
03-13-2002, 18:28
dslpowr-
i did crank them up but i still had some rubbing problems on my front bumper. i found out that i am not rubbing agianst my brake cable but instead against the fender behind the wheel at the very edge. its a little piece of medal that looks as if it is connected to the actual body. i only cranked my torsion bars up 4 turns. is it safe to turn them up more and if so how much more? thanks dslpowr. i will get some pics posted pronto. i am sure glad i went 295 though...
duman333

DSLPOWR
03-13-2002, 19:09
It's not nessisarily heighth that makes it rub, width does too. Being wider they the tires don't just turn, they sweep ****her into wheel wells, bumpers, etc. This is why people don't really have to do many mods to get 255's to fit, they are tall, skinny tires. Here is where wheel offset comes into play too, the wider the tire and more offset the wheel, increases the path of curvature the tire makes to make when the wheels are turned.
I do remember "beating" that particular piece of meatl back with a hammer, not too far though. You can turn those torsions up a few more if you would like, just look and make sure you don't have them all the way, if you look at the bolt you can see how many threads are left, I have something like four if I remember right. Make sure you get an alignment after changing the setting of the torsions.This is a must. Glad you like the 295's, I did a little research when I bought mine with height vs. width and like that size the best.

Silver Bullet
03-13-2002, 19:24
duman333 / DSLPOWR,
I am running 285's on stock rims and I am getting ready to purchase some 16x8 rims. Is 4 5/8" (or 4.5") backspace the way to go?

Steve

[ 03-14-2002: Message edited by: Silver Bullet ]</p>

ChevDog
01-14-2003, 17:31
DSLPOWR - Could you e-mail me some pictures of thoe tires mounted on you truck? I know I have seen them before, but I can't getinto your picturetrail book to view them. I have a set that I'm selling to a guy here at work, and he wants more proof that they'll fit. You installed them by only cranking torsion bars,right?

chris@indalloyfab.

Thanks.

Jelisfc
01-14-2003, 22:55
DSLPOWR, how is your 2nd and 3rd gear drive ability with the 295's? Right now stock with 245's I really like the ease my ZF takes off and as long as the truck is moving I use 3rd gear. Not sure if the tire size really makes a lot of difference under 10 mph.

Thanx,
Steve

TXDMAX
01-15-2003, 09:13
My 305s rub a tad every now and then at full lock to the left on the driver's side (maybe happens once a month). They'll also rub when turning sharply into a driveway or parking lot where there is a little ditch. I don't off-road much in my truck but i'm sure they would rub alot.

Raptorrider2001
01-16-2003, 17:26
TXDmax - How about bringing it to the meeting on the 25th of Jan.? Papas Bar B Q on northwest hwy and north I-35 in Dallas at 4:00pm. See info on member's page. :D