PDA

View Full Version : Automatic to Manual Conversion

deejay
07-20-2002, 16:03
Does anyone out there have experience with a 4 speed automatic to 5 speed manual transmission conversion? I'm looking at a '94 Chev. 3/4 ton 4wd with an auto trans. I'd prefer a 5 speed manual, but they are proving to be hard to find in my area. Is the cost and hassle of a conversion worth the effort?

DarylB
07-20-2002, 16:51
I've done this two times, both on Suburbans. One was a 82 4x4, the other was an 87 2wd converted to a 4x4. In my last conversion, I used the hydraulic linkage and bellhousing, ended up being a lot of trouble, never worked quite right. However, the later model 5pds use a slave cylinder mounted within the bellhousing so that shouldn't be an issue. As far as hassle? Well, I'd say that depends on if you've got a good place to work from. In my opinion cost would only be worth it if you could find the parts cheap, or possibly trade out the automatic.

mark45678
07-20-2002, 20:03
I just finished a swap in a 1/2 ton 5 spd to auto.... theres a LOT of parts to swap! the hard ones are you need to get a peddle cluster, ECM,drac and the correct year standard shift engine wireing harness..... I think its a NV 4500 but it may be a getrag lt duty trans it depends on your gvw....7200 I think is the same as 1/2 ton 8600 gvw is the NV4500.... you will need to swap the Tcase to because of the differnace in the output of the trans!Its possible to swap just the input coupling on the Tcase if you cant come up with the parts! Please email me if your looking for 1/2 ton parts to compleat this swap! mark768@netzero.net

the truck we just swaped was a 92 but the auto was a 94...this added a lot to the job.under dash wireing ! 92 had a 700r4 and 94 has a electronic Le-60 trans you get the idea

[ 07-20-2002: Message edited by: mark45678 ]</p>

stretch
07-21-2002, 06:01
IMHO, I don't think its worth the effort. It will detract from the value/resale value. The auto in the 94 should be good - 4L80E, very dependable and shifts nice. Leave well enough alone. smile.gif

MEP
07-29-2002, 19:06
DeeJay,
I posted this question a few yrs back when I was planing on building a mid 90's Subburan and converting it to a NV4500. I never got a respone concerning the electronics part. The mechanical part can be done, its pretty staright forward. (providing your a pretty good motorhead) But the electroncs could be tricky if you plan on keeping the modern technology. Where I live, in MA, they check the emisions so your limited to what you can change out if you want to drive legal. What stopped me was the cost because I was having difficulty finding a rebuildabl mid 90's Suburban w/diesel. I wasn't going to rip appart a good running one! If you have time, a good work place and are looking for a project, go for it. Just do your research on the electronics. (start with a tranny shop.) While your at it, replace the engine w/ a 6.6L Duramax or an 8.1L gasser. By now these engines will start showing up in junkyards or as rebuildable cores at dealers.
If you decide to do this, keep us all informed.

JB member #739

BTW, In Oct 2000, I ordered a new Dmax P/U.